Discussion About harem genre and "multiple love interests" tag on mangaupdates

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by magicmau5, Dec 19, 2023.

1. magicmau5

magicmau5 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a rather stupid argument with a random reader of the shounen ai webtoon, Stuck in My Sister's Dating Sim. I left a message on a forum saying that mangaupdates had this labeled under harem genre, with the tag "multiple love interests." Because I don't like harem genre in any kind of romance, I said that I was going to drop it even though it was pretty funny. Someone started an argument with me saying that it could still be labeled as harem genre but the webtoon plot would be about several guys chasing after the MC, and he could eventually end up with only one of them.
    My question is - can it be labeled as harem genre but still have a single main couple with a 1 x 1 relationship (there is a GL side couple)? And the "harem" part is just the plot where MC is chased for a long time by a bunch of potential MLs? This is confusing af to me. I thought that harem genre by definition meant that the MC would end up in a long term relationship with several people, and the MC would "share" their affections in a kind of polygamous relationship. Was I wrong the whole time? Before I thought that harem genre was separate from that kind of "shura field" that's described in Chinese web novels (although I'm sure a shura field can be a part of a harem story, but I've only read it in monogamous romances before). A shura field is when the main romance plot is about a monogamous couple, but the person who ends up with the protagonist has to vie with a couple other people in order to get together with the protagonist. In this case, on NU it's not labeled as harem. So is this the difference of labeling style on mangaupdates versus NU, or is Stuck in My Sister's Dating Sim an actual harem story? I'm giving myself a headache thinking about this pointless topic lmao... (n)