Question [CN] help with a word

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by arahera, Nov 7, 2018.

1. arahera

arahera Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I was wondering about a simple word. Which is 麒麟 (Qilin/Kirin).
    But, I was looking for another wording rather than Qilin/Kirin.

The same as 龍 is Dragon but can be worded as "Long".

I would apperciate any help here.

2. pigsticker

pigsticker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    *smirks* how about unicorn then?

龍 is Long in han Yu pin Ying duh!!!!!

Wtheck are you asking such questions?!?

DiabolicGod likes this.
  4. pigsticker

pigsticker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kirin and unicorn are 2 different creatures. not even close, by D&D standards

5. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kylin is a different wording for the word, but honestly unless you want to use an equivalent to qilin I don't see how you are going to change the wording, unless there is some special context

qilin is literally the chinese unicorn. of course there are differences between western unicorns and chinese ones, just like with dragons
    @Harfang I'm replying here without expecting any reply from you or others, since the thread was locked but I wanted to finish telling you my point of view
    indeed right.
    I am not denying any of it, I also think it is terrible. However, I believe that the answer of going "female rights!" ignoring men and others is a retarded move if they want gender equality and not just a role reversal.
    One detail that already shows a small role reversal or at least balancing/compensation is, that, for example in the USA but honestly in nearly the whole western society (south- and middleamerica EDIT: excluded i meant), there is a very high probability that men who are accused of rape without even any evidence are judged as guilty, while the opposite, where the man was raped and then goes to court, is nearly impossible to find nor gets believed by society, since "men like it anyway and are desperate for it", which is no differen from saying "women like it anyway"

I'm calling it a role reversal in a way, because if men really had all that much more might and right, they wouldn't lose in court without evidence. balancing refers to the fact that this acts as some sort of balancing, that although there may or may not be differences, at least there women get the clear advantage, by having the benefit of doubt
    partly, yes. there are always reasons for crimes, but for sexual harrassment and related crimes I'm 100% of the same opinion

sorry for posting this here, but this is not an attempt to hijack nor continue this discussion

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Harfang likes this.
  6. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
  7. SisConEcho

SisConEcho Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    google image 麒麟 lol
    It's basically a Chinese Sphinx with no a55hole, a symbol of luck as it only eats but doesn't sh!ts (out the luck).
    (I prefer the monster hunter's take on it tho, so much more beautiful and elegant, Google image: monster hunter Kirin)

8. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon head, scaled body, hooves and fish tail