Do you buy the Pokemon Double Pack for yourself?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Nov 15, 2022.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a thread made by a gamefaqs troll account about this, and ended up getting curious.

Do you buy it? For what? Just genuinely curious about it, since like... Well, the games are mostly the same aside from a few pokemon being different from one another, I think? I haven't played pokemon in over a decade tbh, so I may be off there.

Ah, and like... Asking specifically about you buying the Double Pack for yourself... Because like, if you're buying the Double Pack for you and your sibling or significant other, or for your two children or whatever, then it obviously makes sense to buy the Double Pack. I'm just curious if you buy the Double Pack specifically for yourself only, and why.

Well, I can see the obvious benefit of being able to collect the entire pokedex without trading with other people, so there is that. I'm just wondering if people buy it because of that, or any other reason~

sakyuya likes this.
  2. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yes, I always buy 2 everytime Pokemon release a new game. One for me, and one for my sister. We would then trade our pokemon and compete with each other.

So, will I buy 2 again this time (Pokemon Scarlet and Violet)

Oh yes, I will, but later in January :bloborz:
    Since I have run out of money.

3. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I would for certain generation p. For example I hated sun and moon so I was thinking about buying the double pack for ultra moon and sun and then I thought, I’d have to play this game twice! And I knew I won’t like it enough to fully play it once. I’d probably do it for BW, BW2 and X and Y

AliceShiki and sakyuya like this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, but like... What would make you buy both versions for BW, BW2 and X and Y, like... Aside from the willingness to play it twice that is. Is there anything that you'd want to see/do that would only be possible with two different versions? Otherwise you could just play the same version twice, right?

That's the kind of thing I'm curious about~

5. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I always wanted to go to white forest in Pokémon White. I never got up to that point though; I lost the game. Nothing for BW2... and same for X and Y, I just really enjoyed the play through and the scenery.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people do it as fandom support, not me though:blobsnow:

7. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ this pretty much
    Only time you were really incentivized to get both were back before the 3ds probably, when it was a lot harder to connect online.

I got one game on launch every time for gen 1-7 except gen 4 and gen 1-3 remakes as well. I came into gen 4 late, but it turned out pretty good since people apparently loved platinum much more than the base diamond and pearl. Lots of post game content, which I loved. Speaking of which, I've noticed since gen 6 and 7 that they're aiming more and more at the mainstream casual audience and cuttiing down on content and only experimenting with gimmicks, so honestly the franchise is dead to me since the value proposition is not there anymore for my tastes. Can't blame them for going after a bigger audience, but now the franchise is just a bittersweet memory to me.

Anyways, yes the games are mostly the same, but I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, if they'd stuck to the formula and kept putting in a good amount of content, I'd probably still be buying them. On the other hand, I really wished they'd experimented with pseudo turn based systems like FFVI that's more timer/cooldown based. I think we could have had pokemon with some amazing gameplay without relying on pvp if we had a system where you could have powerful moves that require a bit of chargeup time that could potentially be interupted, and other such cool interactions.

as it is, sadly, only the gym bosses and elite four are a challenge at all in the games, and that's because their pokemon get some neat moves, so that's why people rely on self-imposed challenge runs like nuzlock to keep the pve part of the game interestingly challenging since the only thing you need in pve is a team of sweepers (basically pokemon that hit hard and fast) who have a variety of powerful and reliable move types to one shot anything they're strong against.

It'd also have been nice if we had some incentive to train up other pokemon other than the main team.... I feel like it was only really the first few games where I tried training up a good variety of pokemon, afterwards, I already knew what I was looking for (because I mostly built team based on types I liked because of coverage and HM reasons).
    Anyways, just rambling now.....

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, i never buy both. I usually just pick the one whose legendary i like the looks of most (been doing that since ruby)