How not to destroy your laptop screen..!?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by HNCKrstl, Jun 10, 2024 at 2:24 PM.

1. HNCKrstl

HNCKrstl 《The Đevîl's Cøñsørt》『♡Hayyan's Female Version』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not fond of electronic devices and they feel the same about me...! :blob_thor:

Unfortunately, I am engaged in a job that requires the use of a laptop frequently, everyday.

I have managed to destroy the laptop screen twice during a short period of 4 months now. :blob_teary:

First time it started off as a flickering of the light. A slight blinking. Then the screen suddenly went all black one day.
    Second time it started off as flickering horizontal lines. White lines. Then the screen suddenly went all white.

My frustration is I have no idea what I am doing wrong for this to keep happening. :blob_teary:

If anyone has any idea on
    - why this might be happening,
    - how to troubleshoot this issue,
    - how to prevent this from happening again,
    Please help. :notworthy:
    Thank you~

My laptop:
    ASUS VivoBook 15 8th Gen Core i5 15.6-inch Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD + 256GB SSD/Windows 10 (64bit)/GDDR5 2GB Graphics/ Transparent Silver/1.75kg)

2. Foodiemonster007

Foodiemonster007 Foodie is hungry. Feed Foodie.

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you dropped your laptop or are generally quite rough with it, it's probably not your fault the screen is like that.

Screen flickering in Windows is usually caused by display drivers. To update your display driver, you'll need to start your PC in safe mode, uninstall your current display adapter, and then check for driver updates.

If the screen is still like that after a driver update, then it's a hardware problem. I hope your laptop is still under warranty.

Lurking, Anra7777, unlucky and 2 others like this.
  3. HNCKrstl

HNCKrstl 《The Đevîl's Cøñsørt》『♡Hayyan's Female Version』

Reading List:
    Link
    I travel a lot, but I always try to protect my laptop than myself when I'm travelling. But, it also means it stays inside the laptop bag a lot.
    The screen problems started as soon as the warranty period ended, unfortunately.

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll try that and see. Hopefully, it's not an unresolvable problem. Thank you. :blobrose:

It does feel good to know it might not be entirely my fault. :justabotheart:

Foodiemonster007 likes this.
  4. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    For hardware issues, let's go for the usual suspects :
    • Is there a strong sun or lamp hitting directly the front or the back of your laptop screen (because long term heat exposure can damage circuitry, especially for very thin laptops) ?
    • Is your fan loud ? Do you have a fur shedding animal or do you work in a dusty space ? Do you cover your laptop with a cloth or put it on a blanket while working ? Video cards can be damaged if the heat extraction of your laptop is obstructed and/or your fan can't work correctly...
    • You should also look at your screen hinges, some laptops models can have manufacturing issue where their hinges can damage the cable passing inside on certains angles.

One thing you can do to discover if the problem come from the screen or the video card is to plug a monitor on it (with an HDMI cable as all recent vivobook have one hdmi port).

If the monitor work normally, then the issue is coming from your integrated screen or its internal cables, if not then the issue is coming from your video card.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024 at 3:22 PM
  5. Bad Storm

Bad Storm looking for love in a stranger's bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe get a bag with a padded laptop slot. Or bring it in a separate bag?

I never broke a laptop screen..

Anra7777 likes this.
  6. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    When the warranty ends, you say?? Buy a different brand of laptop....

TXHY likes this.
  7. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    been using many laptops for the past 2 decades but never encountered ur issue once personally,
    never heard anyone around me having this issue either.
    it's not u though; tried to google a bit and there are others sharing ur pains.

this might be a problem root cause.

since i travels daily on crowded public transport i also tried to add extra padding a laptop with a thick vest wrapping it in many layers. severe overheating problem occurred because
    - both windows 10 n 11 think they are smarter than us; when we ask them to shutdown, they hibernate. when we ask them to sleep they (might) shutdown.
    - sometimes (due to vibrations/shocks) windows decided to wake up, turn the fan on and sucks lots of lints n whatever floats within the bag.

so i 2nd Bad Storm's suggestion - if u haven't done so already.
    also ensure u always work on a hard n clean surface. despite its name, don't put it on top of one's lap. unless one is (a superhero) wearing lint-free spandex.

xiazixin likes this.
  8. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm just like wild opinions about this matter but this comes from my own experience, maybe the bag is tight which puts pressure on the screen, or whatever possibly puts pressure on the screen part (especially if the hardware is not exactly durable). Also there's the usual damage it gets if it gets moved around when it's not totally shutdown and stuff (like just in sleep mode). Maybe keep those things in mind.

9. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never have display dying other than a smashed screen, for some reason I kept smashing them often. Some times it's due to fall damage, some time there were things on the kayboard when closing the lid. Fortunately screen replacement is quite cheap.

The only time I have screen issue is surface pro. Reason, heat pipe/vapor chamber under the screen. Also, surface pro is full of magnet and the glue is one of the worst in tablet.

Common issues with LCD, is liquid leakage. Aka screen leak. 90% of screen issues are screen leak.

Display Driver boards failure are also common. Though more common in monitors and TV, since laptop have its display drivers build in the main boards, it's difficult to replace, also it's hard to isolate displayed driver issues and GPU issues. Usually this need a mainboard change or just get a new laptop entirely. Or probably go shenzhen for repair.

10. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are not windows issues, it's bios or efi issues. Kinda like wake-on-lan functions or restore after AC power loss
    I always thought that modern laptop dose not have sleep of death issues, it's quite rare, but then I stopped repairing laptops for others for quite some time. At least I never had Laptop power died after closing the lid.
    As for sleep Instead of shut down, usually it's Windows Hybrid Shutdown function.

I the past, I like to disable sleep function altogether.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024 at 6:10 AM
  11. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    right; to give illusion/delusion of fast start up time, they cheat by hibernating instead

don't think it's sleep of death.
    whenever i left my locked laptop behind for hours i'd notice that my laptop had been restarted or is a shutdown state.

to personalize my work environment.
    - i don't customize steam, ea, epic auto-sync behaviors. (some/most might argue what i'm an idiot) so every time i starts up my laptop i'd manually kill those auto-run services. those services let me know if my laptop had been restarted beyond my control
    - i never install ad-block; if a site is too aggressive, i'll just stop going there
    - i don't install anti-virus nor setup firewall
    - i don't disable auto-update; less than an hour ago an auto-update kicked in --> bsod --> windows reverted the auto-update

many months ago i could tell whether an auto-update has taken place to auto restart / shutdown my laptop:
    skype stopped working. auto-update broke skype very frequently. had to do another restart to get skype back to work.
    but if not for update, why would windows 11 restarted/shutdown an idle laptop? why not leaving it in the sleep mode?