How to Survive a Summoning 101

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Durrendal, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Durrendal

Durrendal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How To Survive a Summoning 101

Genre: Dark Fantasy, High Fantasy, Tragedy, Romance, Swords and Magic fantasy, Sarcasm, Parody, Psychological, Transported.

[​IMG]
    Synopsis:
    Where mortals are simply instruments for the gods, a man is summoned to do their bidding. He will stop at nothing to forge his own path through his accursed fate. In the land where there are no heroes, a lone man fights against the design with blood, violence and sarcasm.

In a world that is not set in black and white, everything has their own tales. How will he pick sides when none of them are what they appear to be? where betrayal is the paycheck, and lies are the payment.

Can he break the vicious cycle or will he be consumed by his own hatred? What will he do in a world where things can change in a moment? How will he cope with his own darkness?

Every power has its price.

Come delve into the epic world of Sangraal, violent and dark with its mythos as well as fresh with its new spin lampooning all the cliched J-novels ever.

Kill. Die. Tsukkomi.
    Warning: If you are uncomfortable with dark, very dark storyline and mature concepts, this story is probably not for you.

( Cover Art by Sleeping Soul In the Sky)
    A request to readers: Please drop in reviews. Otherwise I won’t even know how to improve or what you guys liked. Help me please. Feel free to ask any questions, I will answer them!

Hello there! HTSAS101 is now featured in Web Fiction Guide, a community-run listing of online fiction. If you like it this story, please support it by voting for it in Top Web Fictions so that it can gain more readers.

Note: You do not have to register anywhere, even anons can vote, so please do not hesitate to put in a vote if you like How To Survive a Summoning.

Release cycle: 1 Chapter each week.

ACT I- Advent
    Prologue : Gods, Contracts and Frogs
    Chapter 1 : Yanderes, Gifts and Nurse Uniforms

Chapter 2 : Knights, Grandmas and Dreamcatchers
    Chapter 3 : Conflicts, Magic and Bottled Fireflies
    Chapter 4 : Languages, Betrayers and Silent Evenings
    Chapter 5 : First Battles, Auroras and Moon's Spawns
    Chapter 6 : Dances, Rivers and Inquisitions
    Chapter 7 : Mercenaries, Witch Trials and Whistles
    Chapter 8 : Requiems, Sacrifices and Deaths

ACT II- Awakening
    Chapter 9: Surviving a Magic Washing Machine
    Chapter 10 : Surviving Feminazis
    Chapter 11 : Surviving Salrest Nights
    Chapter 12: Surviving Overprotective Dwarf Dads
    Chapter 13: Surviving Curses
    All Things Sangraal
    Chapter 14: Surviving Exploding Fish-barrels
    Chapter 15: Surviving Inner Demons
    Chapter 16: Surviving Serpents

Also read it on- Cryptic Fables
    Rebirth Online

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice dragon.. did you draw it yourself?

3. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    No. That's why I wrote a 'cover art credit to the original creator'.

4. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    Put up 100 chapters and I'll read anything

5. Big Boy

Big Boy Weeabo Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm being serious with my advice here. If want people to honestly give you their reviews of your work, at the very least have one volume / arc before you post it online for reviewing. It doesn't have to be well written or edited. Just a rough overview or draft so we can get the gist of the story. Who the characters are, what the geographic and socioeconomic circumstances, etc.
    The thing is, with only a handful of chapters out, we don't know much about the story. You might as well have just posted a synopsis.
    The "Things that happen" chapter titles are a bit overused in original works and fanfic, so you might try to play around with the chapter titles. That's the same as calling them "The chapter the MC does so and so", "Character so and so", "A horse appears".
    Also, need I remind you that this is a forum for professionally written novels. I don't mean to say that original works are bad, they're actually quite refreshing, but people will hold your works to the same standards as actual professional authors, some of whom are best-selling in their countries.

The work has potential, it really does. It feels authentic, and you can see the author's vision in it, as opposed to the mass-produced reincarnation or summoning novels out there written for a quick buck or two.
    An easy way, that isn't complete crap, to get people to stick with or get hooked on your work, is to have them relate to the main character. If readers can see the main character do or say something and relate to it at a personal level, then the character starts to grow on them. A very good example of this would be "The Merge". The author himself is well learned, and his characters show a very human side. It is this very human side that draws people to his works. Of course, you might want to aim for a more fantasy like setting, where readers can project their own fantasies onto the characters, but keep in mind that people grow tired of that very quickly. Keeping a balance is important.

Upon reading the prologue, right off the bet I feel something is off. The protagonist is much too calm for a situation of that intensity. The part where a character is dying is a perfect chance to show their most human side. The strong desire to live is a deeply rooted instinct in all humans, and no one would be completely unperturbed during their death. You could have used that moment to showcase their regrets, their desire to live, and their beastial stubbornness. Accepting death is a process, and no one thrust into an abrupt ending would have that level of acceptance.

I leave you with this piece of advice. You are seeing your work from an author's perspective, and to raise the quality of your work you would need to see it from both the readers' and the characters' perspective. Think of yourself. Your plain old self. Now twist that image of yourself into the mold of your character. Don't think of your character as a "character", but rather as a person. With you having created them, you would obviously be the person who knows them best. Now having your character ready, place them into the scenario and have THEM act it out, rather than thinking of how the scene should go. If you need to forcefully make your characters do something, then you're doing it wrong. You need to let the characters act out their own story, and then simply write it down. Doing this, the story feels more natural, and true to the characters. How many times have you read something, only to see a character do something that completely contradicts everything that they are?
    If you visualize a scene, and it just "feels" weird, then take a breather. If the story doesn't flow smoothly in your own mind, then it sure as hell won't flow in the readers'. Hope you took something from this.

Marca, LupineKing, KainMori and 2 others like this.
  6. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link

Actually, this is the first arc. The chapters are 3k-5k so the first introduction arc got completed in that.

About the character being calm about him dying, if you are talking about the prologue...it was sort of intentional. It is part of his psychology that I envisoned. As for why he didn't struggle much when he was talking to the god about his death...several allusions has been made in the later chaps about his apparent easy acceptance. He himself ponders a lot why he accepted so easily. That again is part of an exposition where he discovers how he had been made to ahem, not giving spoilers.

As for making the character more human...I have tried that in the later chapters. Will you give it a read and tell me if it worked?

Your advices are really good to be honest. I have learnt a lot from this post. I will try to improve my writing. Will you give the rest a read and tell me your impressions?

7. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    But...but I won't know if the story is any good or the reader's reactions if I wait till 100 chaps!

8. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    How To Survive a Summoning Chapter 10 is here!!
    Now there is Artwork and Q&A session.

10. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, if I remember I'll take a look. I've read a lot so I can usually give pretty good advice.

11. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, do let me know.

12. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    all you need is da power of friendship m8
    3395848_1382793576919.4res_500_281.jpg

13. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    So. I heard that you guys like Stat windows?

Fine! You got one chapter of all you can eat blue stat windows. Choke in them.

Actually, it's the guide for all the oddball terms used in How To Survive a Summoning 101

Link- ALL THINGS SANGRAAL

18. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    The most damning chapter of HTSAS101 yet is out!
    Warning: If you are uncomfortable with dark, very dark storyline and mature concepts, this chapter is probably not for you.

This ain't a loli-catgirl-rape-fantasy, this is true blue psychological dark fantasy.

Chapter 15: Surviving Inner Demons

20. Durrendal

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo!

This is sort of a request. How to Survive a Summoning 101 has been listed in Web Fiction Guide and as a result, Top Web Fictions.They are community-run listings to index the popular web novels around the Internet.

But to get into the list and stay there I need support from YOU! All you need to do is cast you vote for HTSAS101. It is needed to reach more readers.

Note: You do not need to register anywhere, even anons can vote and the entire process takes like 4 seconds. So, if you like the series, please consider voting for it. It would help a lot.

Link to Vote

Thank you for your support and love!

-Durrendal