Negative reviews

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by GloomyClouds, Jun 6, 2024.

?

Does reading negative reviews before reading impact your reading experience?

1. A little bit

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Nope

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Yes very much

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. GloomyClouds

GloomyClouds Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am really really tired of reading negetive reviews about novels I was planning on reading and then accidentally swipe into the review section of the novel and BAM!
    (Unknown-reviewer: this is the worst shit I've ever read!)
    (Unknown-reviewer2: The mc just sucks waste of time reading this!) and then my gullible mind just goes nah I can't read this without bias anymore
    Can't the website just add a pause before anyone swipes into the review section like stop and it asks you 'do you want to enter review section?' yes no so simple and solves alot of problems, I'm very easily influenced and the negative reviews impact me alot (⁠T⁠T⁠)
    I can't peacefully read anymore someone even said orv sucks and is just a bl in disguise so upsetting I don't want to read reviews please Its their own opinion but it's hurts me okay (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠) I don't want to read negative reviews

HNCKrstl, Iruma666 and Zozo7400 like this.
  2. Zozo7400

Zozo7400 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I'm also a person who's very easily influenced 〒_〒 so yeah negative reviews do affect me sometimes. Mostly i don't really read reviews but there are times when idk wat my mind is thinking and i go to the review section and well bam, get spoilers or something lol. I hate myself for that but when the synopsis is too good and the novel really suits my tastes, i still go on reading it and u know wat, i end up liking it ≧∇≦ so yeah, i always try to tell my brain that everyone got different tastes and wat other people not like might be my cup of tea. It's a battle but well, i think I'm pretty good at manipulating and gaslighting myself by now. My brain loses most of the times. ≧ω≦

GloomyClouds likes this.
  3. Shimatta

Shimatta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, you guys are just too sensitive lol. I personally read both negative and positive ones. But from what I have seen, the positive ones are mostly rainbow farts. Anyways, you should look for a review that actually points out the pros and cons properly. This has saved me from reading novels that doesn't suit my taste so many times.

GloomyClouds likes this.
  4. GloomyClouds

Reading List:
    Link
    Same.....but I get influenced so easily even if I end up liking it I can't shake off that bad review in my mind and I'm like "damn it! You like this stop thinking about that review, everyone has different tastes" sad(⁠T⁠T⁠) the struggle is there

Maybe (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠) I am too sensitive but...I read a novel awhile back and completed it and even reread it a few times only then did I later check the reviews to my suprise alot of the reviews were negative and I was like stunned like this is a masterpiece how....what.....? And I thought to myself wait had I read the reviews beforehand I would have missed out on a precious gem that scares me (⁠・⁠–⁠・⁠;⁠)⁠ゞ

HNCKrstl and Zozo7400 like this.
  5. Shimatta

Shimatta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The opposite can also occur. You might see a rating as high as 4.7, read the novel, and find it terrible. When you check the reviews, you wonder if those giving positive feedback are out of their minds.

Additionally, a wide range of age groups read here, so what teenagers enjoy might not appeal to more mature readers, and vice-versa. Ultimately, everyone has different tastes.

Just don't read the reviews. They are below the synopsis, so it's not like you'll accidentally see them.

HNCKrstl and GloomyClouds like this.
  6. GloomyClouds

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠) I am too sensitive but...I read a novel awhile back and completed it and even reread it a few times only then did I later check the reviews to my suprise alot of the reviews were negative and I was like stunned like
    Kay Q-Q but....when ever I scroll too fast I end up in the review section and then I quickly shut my eyes now that I think about it, it's kinda childish (⁠•⁠ ⁠▽⁠ ⁠•⁠;⁠)

HNCKrstl and Zozo7400 like this.
  7. Foodiemonster007

Foodiemonster007 Foodie is hungry. Feed Foodie.

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews must be filtered by sanity level. Those where people try to evaluate the novel more objectively, listing out the pros and cons of the story, characters, settings etc. are generally more believable and worth taking into account.

There are lots of people who rate something 5 stars and just say "this is the goat", and then there are also people who give one star and say "I don't like seeing so much onomatopoeia, so the novel is shit". These are the reviews that I ignore.

I also watch out for keywords that immediately turn me off such as "rape", "harem", "child/spousal abuse", "immoral", and "power fantasy". There is a >90% chance that I dislike such series anyway, even if it starts off good.

Other than that, as long as the synopsis looks interesting, I at least try to spend 5-10 min reading the first three chapters before deciding if I want to continue.

Shimatta and GloomyClouds like this.
  8. GloomyClouds

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, that's understandable (^^)

Foodiemonster007 likes this.
  9. chanman20

chanman20 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a negative review is something like "this is trash" or "i just don't like something" then i tend not to bother with them. If someone types out a legit review of why they don't like it then I might take a peak at it but if I wanna read something Im going to give it around 20-35 chapters regardless

10. ThatTwat3000

ThatTwat3000 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think about it like this:

If someone reviews any work instead of just rating it on the 1-5 star scale (remember, leaving a review is optional)... that means they’re moderately invested in their opinion of the novel. So, there will always either be a positive or negative bias.

Now, that is my philosophy... so I am way more easily swayed by the ratings, haha. However, I tend to look at how many people rated it what star first. A novel can be shown as having a rating of 1-star, but it’s all ‘cause one hobo decided to rate it as such and no one else reviewed/rated. Then again, a novel can have a 5-star rating, but only one person rated it.

GloomyClouds likes this.
  11. GloomyClouds

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that makes sense (⁠•⁠ ⁠▽⁠ ⁠•⁠;⁠)

Reasonable outlook, hmmm I guess you're right

chanman20 and HNCKrstl like this.
  12. HNCKrstl

HNCKrstl 《The Đevîl's Cøñsørt》『♡Hayyan's Female Version』

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally believe reviews provide you more understanding about an individual's taste rather than the story itself. I just ignore the comments that are like,
    - This is a piece of trash
    - This is heaven sent
    without giving any reason for that statement.

The only way reviews affects my reading is, if I find really negative or too positive reviews with reason, I would be so curious, therefore, I will definitely ignore my TBR list and read that story next. :blobspearpeek:

13. GloomyClouds

Reading List:
    Link
    I see I guess you can look at it like that, hmm I think its time I learn to hold my own opinion (⁠・⁠–⁠・⁠;⁠)⁠ゞ

HNCKrstl likes this.