Discussion Petty reasons for abandoning/discontinuing reading a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MillenniumMoon, Oct 24, 2022.

1. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine for starters is that the most vital point of continuously reading a story is the MC. If I don't like or stop liking the MC I usually click the exit button, exceptions happens of course if the plot is too good and other characters are great.

Listed below are my some petty reasons why I would stop reading a story:
    - Cigarette-smoking MCs ( I can't stand the smell of cigarettes)
    - Perverted MCs (Doesn't matter whatever gender they are)
    - Needlessly cruel MCs
    - Excessive/repetitive flattering descriptions to MCs or MLs (Yes author, I know the MC is this jade-skinned, peach blossom eyed, rosy thin lipped, and slender beauty, you said that for the tenth time already :facepalm:)

What about you guys?

ImJustreading and dysforia like this.
  2. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Augur』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you've read Desire (Mogma), I dropped it at chapter 8 or 9. It's when the premise is interesting but then it gets off the rails and becomes something undesirable. Though I dropped Desire (Mogma) because the guy literally killed simulated children.

3. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    - MC has too many waifus and it gets messy
    - Mc dislikes my favourite dish
    - Torture to torture ( not even smexy torture )
    - ML uses MC as replacement for someone else , is only attached to that someone else because of they did X but MC did X
    - Slowburn is fine but using " romance " as main theme and having a NO BURN
    - Perverts , and I mean MOB pervert kinda pervert
    - Sees Booba and faints
    - Too much accidental falls into boobs
    - Too many bathroom accidental white shirt booba showing incidents

that's all for now

wasntbornyesterday likes this.
  4. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like a lot of things, finding what I like in a novel is hard.

But I'd drop in a second romance novels where
    - MC that is a runaway, thinks running away or avoiding is the solution but doesn't even make an actual logical plan
    - Creates misunderstanding, can't be honest
    - MC too OP and Mary Sue that I can already visualize the whole plot until the ending and I'm mostly right.
    - MC who sacrifices for love and thinks their hard work will be repaid, sounds romantic but it's dumb and have no self-respect. It's 2022 and characters like this reminds me of early 2010s.
    - Setting where ML is always made the bad guy for not reciprocating MC's love and have to chase him back like they're kids.
    -this list won't end so I'll stop here

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    AaIN and wasntbornyesterday like this.
  5. Not Orris

Not Orris Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could see why you considered Point 1 as a "petty reason," but the other three are rather reasonable and at the end of the day, it boils down to your personal taste.

In my experience, I have considered your points 2, 3 and 4 to each be indicators of potentially bad writing.

This is not a defense for the novel, but it reminds me of the players that developed a mod for The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim to kill (simulated) children.

I would not blame you. Authors cannot develop characters when they have to juggle around approximately 15 love interests.

In terms of romance novels, people with this mindset are either naïve or hopeless.

6. Hidetaka Miyazaki

Hidetaka Miyazaki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only time I ever do this is if the MC is gay. Sorry I just can't sit through a novel where MC doesn't have the same sexual desires as mine and it physically disgusts me. Other than that, everything is completely fine as long as it has a purpose to the plot including sexual immorality and excessive cruelty.

7. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    - MC acted like a racist.
    - MC kill without any reasons
    - MC acted like a hypocrite
    - MC r*pe someone for whatever reasons.
    - MC sleep with literally every woman he saw
    - MC who choose to romance someone who they thought as family (sister, mother, aunt, etc) blood related and non-blood related included.
    - OP but Brainless MC
    - MC who looked down on woman, but hide behind one when they have opportunity to do so.

ReaderReader likes this.
  8. ddashryu

ddashryu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - When the MC goes out of character without reason can be a turn off. (Everyone goes psycho because it's cool.)
    - Sudden switch to Harems (imo a genre for frustrated teens)
    - Too obvious plot Armour (Stuff get's real but they don't)
    - Dead plot (fluff)

9. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - dropping stories when the "pampering" starts
    - dropping transmigration stories (its petty because I'll bear with some stories, but drop others solely for this premise)
    - dropping stories for when younger brothers/sons/boys are yandere for MC
    - when a character is way too "head over heels" for their love interest
    - when FL is loved by her family and they treat ML as an enemy/outsider, even if they're aware of his abuse/poor circumstances
    - when a stupid misunderstanding occurs in which MC could have easily said something right then and there to clear it up *sighs*
    - stories about idols (it's funny because I have read around 2 or 3 of this type and relatively enjoyed them, but would otherwise turn myself away if I see it)
    - ML or her family compare FL to a small animal (like she's a squirrel or rabbit)
    - those stupid wife-chasing/possessive ML skits in the blurbs
    - any novel that has "tame" or "pamper" in the title, no way you are going to catch me reading something like that

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think any reason I drop a novel is petty. Like... If I drop something, it's because it was boring me. It's not petty to drop something because I was bored.

And honestly, most reasons listed here aren't really petty either... Like, the only three petty reasons I saw in this whole thread were:
    And for the third one, I can totally see it stop being a petty reason if it happens all the time. It can get annoying fast... It happening once or twice isn't much trouble though (at least not to me).

All the other reasons I saw listed in this thread seemed perfectly reasonable and sensible reasons to drop a novel, tbh...

Westeller likes this.
  11. ImJustreading

ImJustreading Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I'll generally stop reading a manga/novel if they read as being too immature.

I understand some like that, but I don't.

12. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem. I just can't stand it, it's okay if its brief but yall want me to watch people fight over one person every other chapter?

13. Egguran

Egguran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are novels of which i become tired, and abandon them

14. Dreamups

Dreamups Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just get bored with the overly predictable plot. It feels so boring when you can tell how the characters will react.. At least authors should've made an effort to turn their work into something a little new. Sigh.. Plot is the exact same with no new or interesting elements. So, I just drop them!