Question Plagerism!?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ptbptb, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ptbptb

ptbptb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [EDIT] UPDATE: Verdict NOT plagiarism.
    (Also, I can't spell plagiarism)

[EDIT] UPDATE: I have been persuaded to link the book
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-Tamers-Chronicles-Tamer-ebook/dp/B07452CM8L/
    Please bear in mind that it is in no way certain that the author has done anything wrong at all.

OK, this is a bit awkward because it's a serious accusation and I have very little evidence. What I've found is a LitRPG book published in English that states it is not a translation. However, it has multiple mistakes that look exactly like someone has mis-translated from Japanese. So my suspicion is that the 'author' may have taken a translated work from somewhere and published it as his own after some editing.

For example, there is one place where the author has used 'inept' when I'm sure they meant 'impotent'. The key here is that the Japanese word 不能 (funou) means both so a careless (or machine) translator may have used the wrong word.

Similarly in another place the author has used 'fall' when I'm sure they meant 'be killed'. Again, the Japanese word 倒れる (taoreru) means both so a translator may have got the wrong word.

If I can find the original work (if it exists) I will be able to confirm this, and inform Amazon.

That said if it is the author's own work then I don't want to get him into trouble.

So, does this sound familiar to anybody?
    * LitRPG
    * isekai
    * original (probably) Japanese
    * reincarnation
    * monster taming (slime first)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    RedKaiser and Astaroth like this.
  2. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    The ossan pick up by god

3. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or maybe someone is selling a bad fantranslation.

Nom de Plume and chamchaworld like this.
  4. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    This most likely

5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    might be this
    report it to amazon, link them these:
    http://jigglypuffsdiary.com/the-man-picked-up-by-the-gods/
    http://jigglypuffsdiary.com/the-man-picked-up-by-the-gods-reboot/

6. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    there's a few reincarnation, slime tamer stories...
    more details?

7. ptbptb

ptbptb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, nope. I had a look at that one and although it certainly matches my hints it's too different. I did look through a bunch of 'slime' stories in a couple of Japanese novel sites - they write too darn much! Lol.

I'm not sure I want to post the actual Amazon link in case the author is innocent. But I will drop another hint. It was a gender switch reincarnation. Man before dying, girl afterwards.

8. Calavente

Calavente Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or it might be someone that is not a native english speaker, and learned english by reading many litrpg novels...

and from what you said, "fall" could be used to say that someone is killed (but it needs a particular sentence structure)
    in the same way, inept can be used for impotent (not in classical english, but in the words of a non-native speaker).

last : the "author" may be from japan... and thus would easily fall to these traps (false friends ?)

eventually : you may be absolutly right, but IMO one needs to look in more detail to the script. Many litrpg novel are not so far from fan-fictions and start quite close from existing JP or CN work before splitting from the initial work only after a few chapters.

I think you have to be careful; the notion of plagiarism for fan-fictions is hard to decide, and amazon can react quickly and brutally. If the other author is not actually plagiarizing, but only "taking inspiration, with adding his own twist", such action could be like "cutting the wings" from an aspiring author.
    however, if you really think its pure plagiarism : go go go.. no pity for plagiarism without mentionning the source of inspiration !

kenar and Nom de Plume like this.
  9. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    Slime is always the first though.... And those mistakes you mentioned - those words can actually be exchanged in between. They can have the same meaning even in english. The author could also be bad at english.
    The man picked up by gods has very good translation quality so it's probably wrong novel though.
    Don't know if it's plagiarism or not but you should go to wattpad and see the situation on current writters abilities yourself. Most of them are not so good, don't have editors but still publish novels on amazon... The reality is cruel...
    And most writters are not english natives so mistakes happen... A lot...

10. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way try reading invisible dragon- the quality of highest rating XD

Red.Gamer, Ddraig, Bad Storm and 5 others like this.
  11. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be easy enough for someone to take a translated novel and change it just enough to pass it off as their original work. Of course they can publish the translation as is as well, but it's a bit more risky.
    It seems you are making it unnecessarily hard to identify. If the author is innocent, then you just given them a little extra advertisement.

12. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Even English native speakers often make mistakes in writing! Some are quite terrible, in fact.
    Of course, it's practically impossible to tell someone's nationality over the web unless they state it, but...

13. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably an original then or a fanfic, not a translation

14. OneNameVillain

OneNameVillain [One Who Faced And Became What Should Not Be]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken?

15. ptbptb

ptbptb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, OK, you have convinced me. So with the clear disclaimer that I do not KNOW that the author has done anything wrong at all (apart from not get a good proof reader) here is the book link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-Tamers-Chronicles-Tamer-ebook/dp/B07452CM8L/

It should have been impotent in the specific sense of not being able to get it up. I don't think any native English speaker would get that wrong.

I am very familiar with bad writing on cheap Amazon books. In fact I have recently gone on a reviewing binge and reviewed over 80 books in the last month and a half. I am fairly sure this is not a case of native English speaker mistakes. But, as pointed out, it could be non-native English speaker mistakes especially if their first language is Japanese.

Nope.

16. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a native English speaker and once when I was younger used the thesaurus on my computer to randomly change words to other words to try to get a higher reading lvl for the paper. It didn't work very well when it was read out loud

17. Deleted member 21272

Deleted member 21272 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  18. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably a rip-off of "The Man Picked up by The Gods", instead of direct plagiarism. It may also contain some elements of other similar novels. If someone wants to write a rip-off novel, that's probably the best way to do it. It's cheap writing and pretty shameless, but technically not wrong

19. ptbptb

ptbptb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Irisia likes this.
  20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    you have to be careful dealing with this kind of situation. Because if the truth is its the author own written novel, it can be discouraged for them. From what ive seen at the synopsis, I kind of getting vibes from many novels especially jp but who knows