Recommendations Real & Fake

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Zimazy, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Zimazy

Zimazy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the mtl of “Transmigrating as the younger sister of a big shot with multiple identities” and I really like the relationship between the real and fake daughters. Most of the novels I’ve read usually has the fake daughter as the villain so I’m kind of tired of this plot.

Please recommend some novels, translated or raw, where the real and fake daughters/sons get along. Or just a novel similar to the one above ^^

2. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Zimazy likes this.
  3. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also wish authors didn't feel the need to demonise one kid (usually the 'fake'), but the handful of times I've seen both be decent people and become at least somewhat friendly, it's always been a really minor background aspect of the story...

The Greatest Astrologist
    This book was fun so far as I read (less than halfway; MTL was killing my enjoyment of it). The 'fake' son starts out wary/hostile, prepared for a bitter rivalry, but the 'real' daughter (the only mixed-gender example of this trope I've seen) doesn't care at all. Eventually they begin to develop a realistic sibling relationship (rare in novels like this! - where family members are usually either 'creepily doting' or 'terrifyingly antagonistic') - clashing personalities mean they frequently bicker and annoy each other, but with underlying care for each other's wellbeing.

Life-Saving Days by the Husky’s Side
    The 'fake & real sons' subplot showed up late in the book and very little attention is ever given to it, but so far as it went I liked the way it was handled. The MC is the 'real' son who rejoins his wealthy birth family (including the 'fake' son, who sticks around) with remarkably little friction, while the not-so-great dad he first lived with... well, without giving spoilers, I'll just say that the way the author handled that, while short on detail, was pretty refreshing in terms of what one normally expects from novel-world-logic!

The next two books I did not enjoy enough to honestly recommend either one :blobthumbsdown: but they do somewhat fit what the OP asked about...

After Transmigrating into a Novel, I have Four Older Brothers
    This did have some entertaining moments scattered among a fair amount of stupidity. The 'fake' was like a supporting character in her own novel, as most of it was devoted to the fantastical biographies of her four siscon half-brothers... but in moments in-between, the (supposed-)MC does starts to develop a friendship with the 'real' daughter who replaced and evicted her. Like many other plot points, it doesn't really go anywhere - the book finishes abruptly like the author got bored once the brothers' stories had all been covered.

Perfect Fiancé
    The starting point is that the 'fake' daughter got to stay with her (adopted) family and they all cared about each other and got on well, including a close relationship with the returned 'real' daughter. The appeal of this was the whole premise that suckered me into keeping on reading, but it turned out to be a scam! We keep being told that as an orphan in her first life the MC cherishes her lovely new family, but nothing ever shows it to be true (she cares so little about anyone she's bordering on sociopathic). And for extra annoyance the "jealous, vicious daughter" role that I thought we'd done away with ends up being taken on by a cousin instead, like the author didn't know what to write about without falling back on those tired old tropes.

Zimazy and luoxinle like this.