Novel The Seven Highways - Xianxia Isekai

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Windofle, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The web novel can also be read on RoyalRoad!

[​IMG]

Synopsis:

Follow Sa Min as he makes his way back to the Higher Realm. And what's his reason, you ask? Well, it's to find the most interesting way to… die.

Heads up—our main character? Total psycho. He is evil. Like, super evil. Cold, manipulative, cruel, no empathy—the whole thing. You've been forewarned!

So, what sets my story apart? A completely unique cultivation system, interesting characters that develop, immersive worldbuilding, and a unique storyline with hidden plots.

Inspirations: Xianxia Web Novels, One Piece, Avengers: Infinity War, Person of Interest, and most importantly, the devil himself.

And here the Wiki on Fandom for those who enjoy being spoiled (I'm talking to you, xianxia readers)

Update: twice a week, for now

Genre: Xianxia, Portal Fantasy, Isekai, Progression, Anti-Hero Lead Strong, Lead, Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery, High Fantasy, Martial Arts, Villainous Lead
    Advisory warnings: Profanity, sexual innuendos, gritty battle scenes

Table of Contents:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
    EZLight777 likes this.
  2. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1—The Western World
    Yi Wen’s eyes fluttered open as consciousness came back to him. Pain, as if waiting for him to wake up, lanced through him, and he grimaced in response.

His ears buzzed, but he could hear laughters in the distance. The scent of blood and flames clogged his nostrils, overwhelming his senses.

Confusion still clouded his mind as he tried to rise, seeking to clutch at his throbbing head, but his hands failed him. He could not feel them. With great strain, he lifted his head to see.

His left hand was smashed along with his lower body, they became like a dough of meat.

His right hand was still fine, though. It just was … two feet from him, clutching to his stick.

Shattered corpses were everywhere and the green grassy ground seemed dyed in blood, flaming with fire.

The horrific sight brought a faint smile to his old, bony face. The confusion went away.

Among the corpses stood many Ka Immortals, rifling through the remains, searching for Keys and other things. Their clothes were tattered and grimy, but they had something in common, the color red.

Their faces, painted with blood and twisted into savage grins, were clear even in the dark.

"The red-flames mercenary group." Yi Wen murmured, letting his head fall back again in exhaustion.

Even in the sky above, he could see their numbers.

He thought of checking his Inner Domain, then swiftly dismissed the idea. Even if he still had all of his strength, which he clearly didn't, he knew that escaping from this place with this physical body was impossible. He didn't care, though. He had another plan.

Another plan with better outcomes.

The only reason he didn’t kill me was because of the bounty on my head, he has probably notified the Heavenly Union.

But even in the face of such trouble, he found himself smiling. He had expected this outcome before the fight even started and had prepared for it.

Yi Wen looked up toward the night sky and thought, What if the plan didn’t work? What if the Ka was on nobody and this time I'm bound to fall? Will I be content?"

Complicated feelings aroused in his heart.

The thought caused him to recall the day he had found his path in life. Years, years ago, while he had still been a Ka Wielder, he had been in a situation like this, hanging on the cliff of death.

That was when he realized that no matter what he did and where he would reach, his feelings, his cultivation rank. Everything he had, everything he would have were all destined to be consumed by nothingness.

It feels like we're all stranded on a meaningless sky bridge that stretches out endlessly, with no end in sight. And below us, there's a vast, empty void that seems to go on forever.

Every so often, we hear a scream and watch someone plummet into the abyss, disappearing without a trace. For a fleeting moment, those who are close to them pause to mourn their loss before continuing their own meaningless journey.

They try to distract themselves from the thought of what lies below and convince themselves that they won't be the next to fall.

Yi Wen was one of the ones who almost fell off the bridge, but managed to get back. Yet what he saw there, the ultimate nothingness, had left a deep mark on his heart.

He realized that no matter how far he would reach on this meaningless road, he would one day fall and disappear. Just like that.

Getting stronger? He knew that no matter how strong he became or what his cultivation rank was, he would eventually fall. Maybe he could find ways to live longer than death, but even the Six Exalted Judges had died in the end.

But what could he do? Except accepting the truth that others refuse to see.

Falling, falling, why not enjoy this meaningless life? If he was going to die and disappear anyway, why not enjoy everything he could and fall down the bridge smiling?

His newfound belief changed his personality completely.

This was the path he found himself walking - living every moment as if it were his last.

He experienced much and enjoyed many things, but there comes a limit where even enjoyable things become dull.

But the one thing he found himself never growing tired of, while strolling this bridge smiling, was the thrill of sending people plummeting into the void. Witnessing the sheer terror in their eyes as they confronted the truth they had long avoided, was a sight that pleased him. Their loves, hates, quests for revenge, dreams, loyalties, and cultivation journeys were but mere distractions from the ultimate reality.

This path naturally made him a demon — loyal only to his twisted pleasure.

He was known to the world as the Demon Shepherd, the rank 6 Ka Immortal who had the bounty of the rank 7 Ka Immortals.

What a journey It has been so far.

Since ascending to immortality, Yi Wen had never had a day of rest. He’d immediately joined a mercenary group temporarily to protect himself from the Union’s immortals, and to learn more about the Higher Realm.

Everything was going well until the heavenly union attacked the mercenary group, and he was sent to the Infernal Pit Prison. For 300 years, he endured all kinds of tortures.

He had managed to flee when that incident in the prison happened. But the trackers implanted in the prisoners' Borned Ka still allowed them to pursue him relentlessly, giving him no time to rest or to strengthen his abilities.

Not only had he been pursued by the heavenly union, but also by mercenary groups and bounty hunters. The cultivation resources were scarce, and his bounty was quite substantial — for he had broken the ultimate, unspeakable rule of all immortals, and done something else — so he had been hunted from all directions.

Yi Wen took a deep breath, ignoring the searing agony. Did he regret the demonic path he’d taken? Not in the slightest. Yet still, his face betrayed a dissatisfaction, as though he still yearned for more, as though he hadn’t enjoyed enough.

The higher realm is fascinating - there's so much chaos, so much wonder to explore. But what's happened happened, and my resentment could do nothing to change that, he sighed. But… if the Yellow Mind Swap Yantra works, I'll be able to return to the realm of immortals. It won't be easy - I'll have to start from scratch and lose my current cultivation base. But at least I'll be able to get rid of the tracker on my Borned Ka and finally rest easy.

A faint smile then touched his lips, revealing broken and reddened teeth.

I can only hope that it works.

At that moment, Yi Wen noticed movement beside him. Turning his head with effort, he saw a man full of wounds digging his way up through the pile of dead corpses, panting with a desperate effort.

Yi Wen recognized him - he was the captain of the Iron Fang Mercenary Group. Not long ago, when the heavenly union had been closing in on him, Yi Wen had joined this mercenary group as a kind of shield.

They hadn’t known his true identity, of course - His bounty was too big. If they’d known, they’d have turned him in immediately rather than accepting him as one of their own.

The captain gasped for breath as he finally emerged from the gruesome mound, his eyes locking onto Yi Wen's.

His expression transformed from pain to hatred. He had realized who was responsible for this massacre.

"You," he rasped, spittle flying from his bloodied lips. “You’re the demon shepherd?”

"That would be me," Yi Wen said, head dropping back down.

Anger flared in the captain's voice. "You dare to admit it?" he roared.

“What can you do about it?”

“You're dead.. You're.. You’re fucking de–” He broke into a coughing fit, more blood spraying out untill he gasped for breath.

“Oh, how I wish it to happen, brother, but I don’t think you can,” said Yi Wen, his voice calm but tremulous, the voice of an old man. He rolled his head toward the captain, his brow raised in question along with an enigmatic smile. “Why do you think they are still here?”

The captain glared around him before fixing his gaze back on Yi Wen, rage filling his eyes. "I don't give a damn," he spat.

He tapped his index finger, and in an instant, countless swords appeared from nowhere, charging towards Yi Wen with terrifying speed.

Yi Wen remained calm and collected, confident that they wouldn't allow him to die. Suddenly, as if in response to his thoughts, a powerful inferno flared up before him, easily diverting the swords. The flames disappeared just as quickly as they had appeared, leaving Yi Wen unscathed.

Yi Wen didn’t get surprised; instead, he looked to the side and saw a man approaching him, followed by all who were there and their noises. "Here you are, and I thought you'd never show up… You're still not angry at me, aren't you?" asked Yi Wen, scoffing.

The muscular body, the red hair— but what stood out to him the most was the scar extending from his forehead to his chin through his nose, dividing his face in two.

It was Mao Chen, the captain of the Red-Flames Mercenary Group. One of the notorious mercenary groups in the nine worlds and the higher realm. Everyone knew it. And everybody feared it.

Mao Chen glared at him without a word before turning into the Iron Fang mercenary group’s captain. He tapped a finger, and four threads of fire formed in the air. The threads met each other, turning into a fire serpent before immediately charging swiftly for the Iron Fang Mercenary’s captain.

The Iron Fang Mercenary’s captain, too exhausted to avoid it, screamed something, and then a semi-transparent black layer covered his whole body. The fire serpent crashed into him with a hissing crunch. And it crushed him completely.

There was no way he could have blocked that. He was just a Rank 6 Ka Immortal, barely managing to stand, while Mao Chen was Rank 7 for a very long time.

In the spot where the dead captain had been standing, the air seemed to tremble for a moment. Then a Key formed. It looked like a sword in shape, silver in color. It was in the size of a man's palm.

Some of the red-flamed mercenary immortals strode towards the fallen captain. One of them snatched the Key from the air while the other rifled through the remnants of the body.

Yi Wen looked back at the redheaded man standing beside him, his thoughts racing. This is the moment, he thought. I may never get another chance like this again. If the heavenly union’s Immortals arrived, it would be too late.

The first part of his plan was simple — he had to die, this body had to die. It was the only way to avoid being chased by the world after he escaped. But the last part was a gamble—he had no control over it.

If he failed to die, they would quickly track him down and capture him. He couldn't afford to make that happen. But if the Ka wasn't on anyone’s body, he would be doomed. He had to make sure that he would die after activating the Yantra and hope that the Ka would be on someone with the requirements.

As he thought about what he had to do, a wry smile curled his old, bloody lips. But I don't believe it'll be a hard task, he thought to himself, his tired eyes still on Mao Chen.

Yi Wen knew why Mao Chen was after him, and it was certainly for more than just the bounty.

Years ago, Yi Wen had done some horrific things to Mao Chen's family. And while the details of what he had done to them were unknown, everyone knew that the Demon Shepherd had killed the family of the red-flamed mercenary group captain.

Yi Wen took a deep breath then said, voice raised so that everyone could hear, “I’ve never imagined you to be this soft, redhead.” he sighed, “It’s just a woman and three daughters. They weren’t even Immortal, brother, so what's the big deal?”

The aura around Mao Chen instantly grew hot, face was distorted with anger, veins sticking out. “You…you...” He stopped himself before sighing, as though he realized something. “Oh, I see what you're doing. You're trying to provoke me into killing you here because you're afraid to return to the Infernal Pit prison. Haha you fear what they will do to you again.”

Yi Wen’s eyes widened a bit in alarm as he thought to himself, "No good, I need to reach his heart and stop him from thinking rationally," before letting out that creepy laugh of his. "Heer heer heer...

Aren't we all afraid of it? We are the disease that the Union and justice factions try to eradicate; you know that right! But look at you, chasing after your brother for such foolish things. I don't mind if your reason is the bounty; I would probably do the same. But for an insignificant woman and her insignificant daughters? Brother, you're lost."

Mao Chen's veins bulged even further with anger, and his aura grew so hot that his followers stepped back several feet. Yi Wen didn't let him interrupt, talking quickly to keep Mao Chen off balance.

"What did I even do?... That day, I was so exhausted from the Union's chase that I went to the Lower Realm to rest. I stepped into a clan, slept for three days, and when I woke up, I don’t really remember what happened, but I started killing everyone.” Yi Wen said, closing his eyes. Shots of running people, desperate eyes, rain of blood crossed his mind.

What a beautiful morning it was.

"But as I was enjoying my morning, I noticed a woman with white hair. She was a little beautiful— nothing special. But something in me moved. It wasn't my heart, obviously," Yi Wen smiled. "It was my snake.

“You know, before that moment, for a long time, and after that day to be honest, my snake was in a state of, I don’t know, death? If it wasn’t that I needed it for peeing, I would have removed him without a second chance.

“But when he saw that woman, he woke up at once, as if it came back to life. So I followed her to a house and I cornered her. I’m not…that kind of person you know. I gave her two options. You satisfy my snake or you die. Simple as that. But she started to stutter nonsense about the red-flames mercenary, Of course I didn’t know that she was your wife so I sl—”

Without warning, something heavy slammed onto the side of his head with a thump. A pounding throb erupted in his temple. He could barely hear anything. The scent of grass mixed with blood overwhelmed him as he struggled to breathe.

His heart began pounding hard as excitement surged through him. 'It's working! I need to...'

Turning his gaze sideways, his right eye saw a foot pressing down on his head. He swallowed his blood, with something hard, probably his teeth, and then started laughing his oddly demonic laugh.

It sounded distorted and distant.

“She… she chose the first optio…” he continued his provoking. “She was good, very good. I dare to say that she liked it, heer he...but..her kids.. They didn’t seem to agree with me, they… got out of their hiding and came running towards me. I don’t know what they were thinking, but anyway, I crushed them. Seeing what happened to her daughters, the mother who was lying prone snapped and started to push and resist and I told you, I don’t like that. So…I I separated her head from her body”

“And that's it, that’s the..”

Yi Wen paused for moments, breathing heavily and waiting for a reaction. But nothing happened. Maybe Mao Chen said something, but there was no way he could know; the only thing he could hear was the sound of his own voice.

Come on, Redheaded, do something, he thought calmly before continuing to provoke.

“I didn’t even touc—”

And before he could continue, the feet pressing his head suddenly lightened, and he braced himself for anything— if Mao Chen intended to kill him now, he must activate the Yellow Mind Swap Yantra before he died.

But then, unfortunately for him, Mao Chen lifted his foot, and fresh air rushed in and he gasped, famished.

He tried to turn his head to look toward Mao Chen, but it was stuck in the ground. So he peered up with one eye. Mao Chen looked like ….a volcano on the verge of erupting. He stood over Yi Wen, glaring down at him, his chest heaving with each heavy breath.

He peered around for others, but saw no one besides them. Their breathing was the only sound piercing the heavy silence.

What can I do to make this brother explode? Yi Wen thought to himself.

He felt if he stayed quiet now, this one chance would escape, slip away.

Should I add some detail, or make something up maybe? I think I ha... Wait, what's he doing? Yi Wen frowned as he noticed Mao Chen taking a deep, long breath –- too long it seemed — as if trying to quell the volcano within himself.

A strange unease crept into Yi Wen's heart. “Brother, what are you doing?” he asked, but all he got in response was a hot blast of air as Mao Chen released the gathered breath in his direction.

Having unleashed all the boiling rage and frustration he had held inside all these years, Mao Chen glared down at the miserable, limbless old man lying at his feet. The old man with his cracked skull and disfigured face and shaggy white hair was looking at him with one eye, smiling. Creepily smiling.

The old man's face seemed to stir his barely settled heart.

"Calm down, brother,” the old man rasped. “You look like you're about to explode or something. What's wrong with you? Heer heer heer…"

With a disgusted expression, Mao Chen turned around and walked away. Behind him, Yi Wen's eerie laughter rang out.

"You know, old shepherd," murmured Mao Chen as he walked, his voice filled with grief. "I thought sending you to the Infernal Pit prison and gaining the large bounty at the same time would be a wise decision..."

He closed his melancholy eyes, and a silent vision of an old memory floated through his mind.

A woman with snow-white hair looked at him with innocence in her eyes, saying words that he couldn't hear. Around her, little children clung to her pristine white gown. She gracefully lowered herself, accepting a check from one of them, then glanced back at him, offering a shy laugh.

Opening his eyes, he felt his thoughts grow clear. Whenever this memory came to him, he found peace. It was this memory that had calmed him before. And always.

The laughter of Yi Wen grew even harder after hearing that.

Mao Chen kept walking until he approached his followers. He could see the tenseness in their faces as they stood in silence, awaiting his command. Stopping in front of them, he cleared his throat and announced in a commanding voice, "Change of plans; get ready to leave."

“What about him and heavenly un—'' one follower approached him and began to ask. But before she could finish, a river of fire suddenly erupted over Yi Wen. It burned brightly against the darkness.

Mao Chen turned toward the direction of Yi Wen, his eyes glittering coldly in the firelight. "I plan to send him through hell," he declared.

The river of fire then engulfed Yi Wen, obscuring him from sight. His demonic laughter, however, only grew louder, resounding above the crackling of the flames.

Mao Chen and his followers watched in stunned silence as the blaze consumed him, their faces eerily illuminated by the flames that reached skyward. A sense of unease washed over them. The laughter held no trace of sorrow or guilt, only joy, as though Yi Wen were enjoying it.

"What's he so happy about? Death?" one muttered.

The eerie laughter only lasted for moments before it stopped.

Without hesitation, Mao Chen turned to a follower. “Hurry, get his Key; we leave now,” he commanded sharply.

But before the man could move, something shocking happened. The followers looked at each other with puzzled expressions.

Mao Chen's eyes widened for a moment in shock before turning around, smiling.

The scream returned. And this time it was filled with desperation. But that wasn't what surprised everyone. It was what Yi Wen was saying in his screams: "Mama, mama, helpme, mama, mama," in a childlike manner.

There was a moment of silence before everyone exploded in laughter; The shepherd..! the famous demonic shepherd, was crying for his mama! It was a sight no one in there had ever imagined seeing.

“Turned out that the demonic shepherd was mama's baby all along,” one of them quipped through his laughter.

“He tried to act tough until the end, haha, but it seems he couldn’t,” another said.

Mao Chen's lips curled into a smile. He felt that pleasant, glowing feeling of satisfaction expand in his chest.

“My wife, my children…They didn’t die. They’re here with me. But you…you would disappear forever.”

The screaming stopped.

In the meantime, in the blue sky of the Western World — one of the nine worlds of the Land of Ka wielders — a figure was flying in a flash. He was full of gashes and cuts, blood flowing like a river. His robes, though they were red with blood, seemed like those of the heavenly union’s immortals, dark blue and formal.

He was a member of the heavenly union!

The man looked over his shoulders, panting hard and fast. I think I’ve lost them, for now, he said to himself. But he knew that there was no way to truly get rid of them.

From his condition, you would tell that he had escaped a furious fight.

I don’t think I can keep going like this. Thinking this, he stopped in the air and then looked at the baby in his arms. The baby, who seemed to be around one year old, looked at him, frowning.

The man's face betrayed a hint of surprise. The boy who'd been crying the entire way had suddenly shut up a minute ago and now merely gazed up at him.

He smiled at the baby before gazing around with a worried expression. I must hide you someplace safe, young master. You have to live, you have to…

He hovered there for a time, scanning the view, before heading left and descending.

After a while, he arrived at his destination. He landed in front of the door of a dwelling—an ornate yet rustic mansion built from timber and stone and located inside a frosted mountain.

The Ka immortal looked so pale from blood loss and exhausted from the endless flight, yet he knew he had to fake some strength to intimidate these people, so he took a deep breath and put on an intimidating face.

And as if sensing something wasn’t right, the door swung open, and a short-bearded man showed up. He eyed them with suspicion. “Who are you?” he asked threateningly.

The ka immortal didn’t say a word, instead he released some of his force. And as the bearded man sensed it, his eyes winded, and he stood frozen in fear.

At that moment, a woman came singing from inside, followed by two kids. One of them seemed to be the same age as the one in his hand. "Who is there, dear?” she asked.

The Ka immortal didn’t waste anymore time. He moved past the bearded man, snatched up the younger child, and then returned to his place. It all happened too fast for the parents to react.

He then looked terrifyingly at the already terrified man and handed him his young master. “Take this one. It’s your son now, you hear me?”

The bearded man looked like a statue, unable to respond out of fear.

“You hear me?” he repeated aloud, more threatening than asking.

The man swallowed nervously and then started nodding his head up and down. "Without question,without question."

"You'll protect him as you would protect yourself, you hear me?"

"Without question, without question…"

The Ka immortal then took an object out of his robes — a black jade bangle. He held it out and asked, “Do you know what this is? ”

The man stammered, "t-t-the Black-Slowed Hold Ka, a Storage Ka."

”Good. When the boy grows enough, give it to him,” he said, handing it over. He then took another object out — a white simple piece of paper. "And do you know what this is?"

“N-no no, elder”

“No! Well, let me tell you. It’s called Ash Leaf Ka. When you affix it to someone, even for just seconds, it will burn the very moment that one dies, no matter the distance between them,” he paused for a moment, his gaze fixed on the man before him “Understand what this means?”

“I-”

Before the man could speak, the Ka immortal continued, tone flat and final, “If this paper burns.” The aura around him seemed to chill the air as he fixed the man with an intense gaze. “Trust me, I will come back and when I do, you will wish for the mercy of death.”

Silence fell as he gave the man some moments to swallow the new reality. He turned his gaze toward the woman. Her eyes were round with horror, mouth moving without a word as if still trying to comprehend what was going on.

The Ka Immortal then turned around and flew away, leaving the couple watching him in disbelief.

Only when he was no longer in sight did the woman start shouting and crying, ”My child, give me back my child…”’

Sa Song paid her no attention. Instead, he looked down at the child in his arms, a complicated look on his face.

Yi Wen, who had been watching the whole thing, looked at him with cold eyes, smiling.

The western world….

Note: As you can see, this story ain't for just anyone...only those with hearts of steel.

This is a planned story with many... surprises.

And hey, when I mentioned that unique cultivation system, I totally meant it, no lying.

Truly hoping there's someone out there who's got the guts to stick with me till the very end.

3. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2—After 12 years
    Sa Min lay on his lumpy bed, his glassy eyes gazing up at the old wooden roof of his room. He’d woken up a little earlier than usual this morning. For this day was different; today was Harvest Day. Which meant…tomorrow was the Awakening Ceremony!

Finally… it’s here…He thought calmly as he cast the cotton white blanket aside. How is it now…thirteen years? Thirteen years since I’ve owned this body…

With a hushed yawning, he rose quietly, stretching his arms wide, before approaching the window to open it. As the old wooden frame opened, a cool, crisp mountain air rushed in, bringing with it the fresh scent of pine needles soaked by the light rain of spring that had fallen all night.".

A sea of trees and undergrowth greeted him in silence.

Standing there, chest bare, letting himself be washed by the sunlight, Sa Min felt his mind clearing up, and drowsiness slipping away.

He stayed there and watched the scene for a while. Nothing happened, nothing besides the movement of the trees and the chattering of the birds. Another yawn escaped his lips.

What a boring scene this is, I can’t believe I managed to live for thirteen freaking years like this without killing myself, he thought to himself before a faint smile curled his lips. Ah, But at least it gave this tired mind some time to rest.

Thinking that brought back vivid memories of his life before entering this body.

Those beautiful times, when he’d been always glancing over his shoulders, constantly chased by the Heavenly Union Ka Immortals, and giving him no time to shit in peace, let alone cultivate. The whole world had been after him, all for the heavy bounty on his head.

Until eventually he’d been forced to use the Yellow Mind Swap Yantra, losing his cultivation foundation in the process.

Regret using it? Hell no. He was thrilled that he'd used it.

Yes, he’d lost his rank 6 cultivation foundation that he went through the sweet and bittersweet to reach, and if it hadn’t been for the situation he was in, he probably would not have used it. But what he gained in return was much greater.

Yellow Mind Swap Yantra was only Rank 3 Yantra and its requirements to work were quite challenging. Not only that its Ka needed to be physically attached to the one you want to switch minds with, but the one must also be at best rank 3 Ka Wielder and he must not be expecting the switch.

This alone made the probability of succeeding in getting a body very low, and the probability of the body being Ka Wielder’s body was even lower.

Sa Min, since he hadn’t had the recipe for the Ka, he’d had only to hope that the Ka existed in the world and that it had been attached to someone who fit the criteria.

So what had been worrying him wasn’t that he would lose his cultivation base, but the fact that there was no guarantee he would succeed in the first place. And so when he’d realized that it worked, he’d felt overjoyed, which he hadn’t felt in years.

If I had another way in my hand to get rid of the tracker off my older Borned Ka other than Yellow Mind Swap Yantra, I definitely wouldn't use this Yantra but…

His bounty in itself hadn’t been a problem as the Ka Immortals wouldn’t have known his whereabouts. The real trouble, though, the source of all the problems had been that damn tracker. Because of it, the heavenly union had constantly known his whereabouts, and had constantly spread it to the world.

I might have lost my cultivation foundation and strength, but my mind is still here with me. Thinking of this, Sa Min could feel himself grow excited and ambitious.

His mind, with all of his over 600 years of experience, the countless Yantras crafts, Ka recipes, rich battle experience, and his attainments. Such a mind would allow him to advance through ranks smoothly and quickly—well, that would depend on his Sea Core grade, but still, if he used his experience well, no matter what his Sea Core grade was, there’s no question he would return to the Higher Realm.

I had a lot of time to rest and plan how I would go from here. He thought as he walked away from the window to his bamboo cabinet. But now it's time to cultivate. I’m now no different from a Non-Wielder… actually, a Non-Wilder is even more valuable than me right now.

Sa Min opened the long, elegant bamboo cabinet wide, and picked up his only robe–simple and gray. As he slid an arm through a sleeve, he couldn’t help but glance to the corner of the room at the exquisitely carved wooden-framed mirror hanging on the wall.

A slim framed young man with an indifferent face looked at him coldly.

He ignored his face in the reflection and gazed at his stomach area. There were two black round points, one atop the other. The one above sat just atop the navel, and it’s called Force Gate; it's the size of a man’s fist. And the other is located beneath the navel, and it is called Imprints Gate, its size was half the size of the first one.

Sa Min touched as he watched in the mirror, feeling nothing as though he were touching a numbed area.

Good thing it’s complete this year, or else I would wait a whole other year.

Only those whose Force Gate had been fully formed could join in the awakening ceremony and open their Sea Core and awaken their Borned Ka.

The age at which the Force Gate would be shaped completely differed from person to another, from twelve to twenty. The majority of youths, though, completed this process at fifteen years old.

Fortunately for Sa Min, the formation of his Force Gate had reached completion a mere month ago. And now he was ready to begin cultivating.

But I really hope to be fortunate again with good aptitude, or at the very least avoid the Ordinary Sea Core… which would make my cultivation pretty slow.

Forming your Force Gate ahead of others did not necessarily mean you would get a better Sea Core. In truth, most of those who formed it early, found their aptitude to be low.

At that moment, a voice came in from outside the room, putting a stop to his thinking. “Young master Sa Min,” it said, kind of low. “Are you awake? Your father had called for you and..and…and I brought water to wash your face.”

“Come in,” said Sa Min as he continued to put on his robe, thinking, What this old man wants now, I haven't even eaten breakfast yet.

The door opened then, and Hou Qing—a Non wielder— his personal slave entered, bearing a silver empty basin in one hand and a small pitcher in the other. With her eyes on the wooden yellow floor she approached Sa Min before bowing a little, offering him warm water. “Please, young master,” she said, her voice soft.

And though she was doing her best to avoid his chilling gaze, Sa Min could see the abject fear in her eyes. He sighed and settled into a nearby chair, rolling up his sleeves before placing a hand over the empty basin. “Did my father summon my sister as well?" he asked.

“Yes, young master,” the slave replied as she poured a bit of warm water from the pitcher onto his hand. “But the young lady, Sa Juan, is already in Ancestral Hall.”

Sa Min brought the water to their lips, rinsing their mouth before splitting it into the basin.

She probably stayed awake all night, too nervous to sleep…like everyone else, of course. I still remember me back then, I was like awake for three freaking days heer heer…

The awakening ceremony day served not only as the day Ka Wilders entered the path of cultivation, but also as the day of discovering what their potential was and how far they could reach…it was the day on which they learned their places in the world. So you could kind of say that it was the most important day of their lives.

Hou Qing poured again onto his hands, and Sa Min sniffed it before releasing it into the basin. Water again onto both hands, and he splashed it on his face, cleansing it thoroughly.

I have enough Soul Liquor to open my sea core here and now and start cultivation immediately, but that would only lead me into trouble with the clan…heher, look at you, the great shepherd, too weak to even defy a small clan…

As Sa Min drew his long black hair and bound it with a leather band, he noticed the basin trembling in the slave trembling grasp. Lifting his icy eyes calmly to hers; the poor Non-Wielder hastily dropped her eyes, utterly terrified, grasping the basin all the tighter until her knuckles became quite bony and bloodless.

"Calm down, sister. I'm not going to drink you, you know," he reassured her with a slight smile, but his words carried a terrifying hint.

At the sound of his voice, the basin slipped from her hand, hitting the floor with a thud and spilling out all its dirty water. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” she cried out, swiftly sinking to her knees, her body bowing so low that it seemed she meant to clean the filth with her face. “I didn’t mean to, please forgive me, please plea..” she began babbling.

Looking down at her desperate, pathetic form, Sa Min couldn't help but sigh deeply.

Non-Wielders... huh, if I had ended up with a body that belonged to a Non-Wilder, I would have killed myself right away.

Seriously, he's not kidding.

Strength is definitely not my purpose, cultivation to me is nothing but a means to freedom. Without strength I’d be dead if I'd act me. Sure I don’t fear death, but…I want to go in the most enjoyable way possible…

There were other ways to acquire some freedom. To be wealthy was a way, to be smart was another way, a strong family? maybe, but they were all tied to strength. A Ka wielder with higher rank could smash your mind, he could steal your wealth and enslave your family.

Cultivation was the foundation of everything in this world.

But the Non-Wilders were people who weren't born with Force Gate, nor Imprints Gate on their body. Those who had no Sea Core nor Essence Center. Those who had souls instead of Kas.

That’s to say, they’re the beings that could not cultivate no matter what.

I’ve heard rumors that there’s an immortal way for Non-Wielder to be a Ka Wilder, but never saw any, in person or otherwise.

But even if somehow there was, which was unlikely to be, how could a Non-Wilder acquire the Yantra manual? And even if somehow did, how could he find its Ka recipe, and how could he create it? And even if he somehow did, witch is impossible, how the fuck could he activate the Yantra and did not have the Essence Center. It would be like…a rabbit crossing a road full of wolves just to acquire something that didn’t exist that only wolves could use.

I would have definitely killed myself.

Everything in the world had some role to play and the Non-Wielder were no different. It’s just their roles was not…How to say it? They’re not enjoying their roles, that's for sure.

Their souls were the food of the Ka Wilders’ Borned Ka.

Valuable people—resources like them were not free, of course. They were kept in place called the Drinks Barn. Where they were raised and fed and stored, and ultimately absorbed to .

Hou Qing must be beautiful enough indeed to be able to escape that place and serve a Ka Wielder family. Nonetheless, food was food, and when she reached the right age, she would be absorbed too.

“Get Up,” Sa Min said as he rose from the chair, taking his stick that was beside his bed. “And clean this mess.”

“Ah!” She looked at him with those gloomy, wet eyes, lisps trembling as she began babbling again "Thank you, thank you mas…"

Sa min paid her no mind whatsoever as he left the room walking with that slow, deliberate gait of his, heading towards the Ancestral Hall.

Thank you for reading ⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄-⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄

4. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 3—Returning to the clan
    Sa Min made his way through the stairs to the first floor and eventually came to the Ancestors Hall.

In the hallway, beside the open door, he saw a young woman—a decorated red upper garment with long sleeves and a red skirt—kneeling and mumbling something nervously: “Our ancestors in heaven, please, please, please give me a good sea core, please… ”

She seemed to be so submissive in whatever she’s doing that she didn’t notice Sa Min squatting beside her.

Sa Min glanced around to see where this father was before turning his attention to his older sister, Sa Juan.

She was bowing so deeply that he couldn’t see her face, still muffling the words.

How could this sister understand that the sea core has already existed in her since birth and she is only going to open it? And no matter how much prayer and tears she shed, it would not change that ... .Besides, what help could the dead offer her anyway?"

He watched her for a moment before loudly clearing his throat.

Sa Juan hastily looked up. “Brother,” she said, shocked as though she’d seen a Silver three-eyed baboon. She quickly stood up, adjusting her beautiful robes before saying anxiously, “Good morning, young brother,” with a forced smile.

Her beautiful long black hair was decorated with pearl hairpins. Her skin was flawless. Her naive eyes were beautifully black and wide. She had a small nose.

Until here, everything was good; everything looked beautiful.

But as Sa Min’s eyes slowly continued downwards, a big, too big lip with a brown, ugly pimple at its side greeted him.

Noticing Sa Min staring at her mouth, smiling that weird smile of his, she swiftly covered it with her sleeve in shame. And before he could call her the nickname that always made them tremble, she hastily spoke up, “Please forgive me; I forgot something in my room.” Her face looked defeated.

Sa Min nodded to her with a smile, and she scampered out of sight.

He stayed there squatting for some time, before he sighed, rising with the help of his stick.

I think this father is enjoying his breakfast while I’m waiting for him here…Let me check out the kitchen; maybe I’ll find something ready to eat.

As he took a step away, here was the father, with his short-gray beard and smiling eyes, showing up. “My son,” said Sa Huiqing with a clear, fake smile. “I apologize, I’m late, I had something to do,” he paused for a moment. “But I didn’t think you would be waiting for me; are you excited?” he asked, raising a brow.

“Sure thing, it's an important day, my father; how can I not be excited? '' he replied, leaning on his stick, barely suppressing a yawn.

Sa Huiqing cast his glance around. “Where is your sis—” Before the last word could escape his lips, a voice cried out from behind him, answering his incomplete question. "I'm here, father. I'm comi..." shouted Sa Juan as she hurried up, her voice trailing off as she saw the smile on her father's face curdle into a scowl.

She scurried to stand before Sa Huiqing and greeted him with the utmost politeness. "Father, I was w—" she began, but he cut her off with a derisive snort. "Did you dress well, huh? You finished eating?" he sighed theatrically, shaking his head from side to side. "Ah, this daughter, this foolish daughter, can't you just try to pretend to make us proud? Why are you like this..."

“No, no, I was her—” she tried to explain, but she was interrupted yet again.

“Can’t you be like your brother for once? He was waiting here for a long time,” he rebuked her, nodding to Sa Min. Sa Min nodded back. He had no interest in backing her up.

"Yes, my father. I will do my best," Sa Juan muttered resignedly, seemingly accustomed to such treatment.

Sa Min looked into her dejected expression and noticed smoldering anger in her eyes.

In the first days, after he’d been handed to this family by that Ka Immortal, the parents had hated him; they had still treated him well though, but only out of fear of the Ka Immortal’ threatening words.

And Sa Min knew that fear didn't last forever. And he had no intention to rely on it forever.

Knowing the family situation in the Sa Clan, he’d decided to take another approach to make them care about him and accept him.

Sixty years ago, after an incident with Sa Huiqing’s grandfather, this family, which was a really important and influential family in the clan, was banished from the Sa Clan. So even though Sa Huiqing was rank 3 Ka Wielder, he was not considered an Elder, and he hadn’t any say in the clan decisions, hence, he can’t even enter the Sa Clan area in Tetra Blessing City.

He was still a member, though, as he was the head of the Drinks Barn of Sa Clan, which was located in the mountain near their house.

The wages he received were low compared to the Elders—rank 3 Ka wielders— and he only had Medium Aptitude, so he had neither the resources nor the talent to advance in his cultivation.

In other words, there was no way he could dream of returning to the Sa Clan.

But what if his son had High Aptitude, huh? The Medium Aptitude in itself was very rare. Only a handful of Ka Wieder had it. And High Aptitude, the Grand Sea Core? No one in Tetra Blessing City had it. That showed how precious and rare it was.

If his son had such talent, the Sa Clan would undoubtedly welcome him with happy arms.

The moment Sa Min learned of the circumstances, he began straightaway to show those signs that only gifted children with High Aptitude were capable of. He walked at the earliest possible moment, talking like some old wise man as soon as he used the dialect, claiming he received visions from Heaven, showing his natural knack for kung fu, and so on and so forth.

Indeed, as he had presumed, the parents began looking at him differently—no longer as a suffocating bomb that had been forced into their throat, but as a luminous gem that could resolve all their troubles.

And while they kept carefully and cautiously caring for this invaluable treasure, Sa Juan appeared to them as a mere dull stone that was not worth their attention.

They barely noticed her presence.

Every time Sa Juan tried to accomplish something to capture their eyes, Sa Min had already done it— and done it better, much better.

"Be more like your brother," her parents constantly reminded her in an admonishing manner. "Learn from your exemplary brother."

She’d tried, trust me, she really had! But damn it all, she had failed to succeed. Sa Min had seemed to her as…what’s the damn word? Special, unique, destined for greatness? Someone she could never compete with.

After all this time, she’s still hoping. Still not giving up… still trying to prove herself, holding back that anger.

Sa Huiqing took a frustration puff before he turned towards Sa Min. “I think you all know what tomorrow is,” said Sa Huiqing; the fake smile came back. “And you know the situation of our family, the Lis. So you probably wonder how you could open your Sea Core and if you could participate in the Awakening Ceremony, is that right, huh?”

Sa Min’s face remained indifferent as before; he didn’t even try to look interested.

Sa Juan, though, was different. Her eyes widened, and her face instantly lit up with excitement. “Yes, yes, father, I was wondering…” She said, curiously as if she’d forgotten how she had been treated a second before.

"That's why I called you here," said Sa Huiqing, ignoring Sa Juan’s enthusiasm, his eyes still on Sa Min. Unfortunately, you cannot participate in the ceremony, just as I didn’t when I opened my Sea Core."

Sa Juan looked disappointed; Sa Huiqing’s eyes were still on Sa Min.

“But you’re still members of the Sa Clan. So when the Reapers come today, they will bring you Soul Liquor to open your Sea Core, but you can only do so after the Awakening Ceremony has finished, that is the law of the clan. And also, an Elder also will be sent to monitor you while doing so.”

Sa Huiqing paused for a moment, stroking his beard. “Listen,” he said. “Though you will receive smaller resources from the clan and less access to the Yantra manuals compared to the others, you’re still my kids. I will take care of you. Like my dead father did for me. Look at me now, a rank 3 Ka Wielder.” His grin spreading. “I just want to tell you kids… don’t worry.”

Sa Min let out a slow and absentminded sigh. Is this brother done talking? Can I now go? My damn stomach is crying out.

Then the voice of this damn sister came. “What about the schoolhouse, father? Can we go there?” She asked blithely, clutching her hands together and squeezing them against her breast in excitement.

“The schoolhouse is in the city,” said Sa Huiqing, his eyes on Sa Min as though he were the one who had uttered the question. “So there is nothing to keep you from going there.”

“Thank you, thank you, father,” murmured Sa Juan, her voice full of joy as she struggled to suppress the urge to leap up and down.

“All right, all right, calm down,” said Sa Huiqing, a frown formed in his sixty-five-year-old face as he noticed Sa Juan’s excitement “Not everyone can join the schoolhouse, you know.” He then beckoned towards the room behind them and continued. “That's precisely why I called you here—to seek the blessings of your ancestors in heaven, that they may grant you a great Sea Core and guide you on your cultivation journey."

Here we go again with this nonsense. Sa Min thought. Another yawn escaped his lips.

"Go into the Ancestral Hall," said Sa Huiqing. “Take all the time you need. I'll call you again when the reapers arrive." With that, Sa Juan gave a little bow and made haste inside.

Sa Min watched her as she crossed the threshold of that dim hall. Dim indeed, with the light from the small door only lighting the entrance. The space was filled with smoky incense burners and flickering candles. In the front, he could see ancestral plaques placed on the altar.

He had no intention of following her. No, not going to waste any more of my time there... I'll give him some dumb excuse; he wouldn't even give a damn anyhow."

But as he turned, Sa Huiqing suddenly approached him and laid his right hand on his shoulder. “Son, before you enter, I want to speak with you about something important,” Sa Huiqing said tenderly. “If you don’t mind, of course.”

This tone. I knew this damn tone, Sa Min thought. A faint smile came across his face. He would try again. Hehe. What persistence he had. How many times now—nine, ten?

And as if to conform his thought, something came out of Sa Huiqing’s Sea Core, and Sa Huiqing grabbed hastily as though he were afraid someone would see. It was a black jade bangle—the Black-slowed Hold Ka.

"My son, my righteous son," breathed Sa Huiqing in a sorrowful voice. "You already comprehend our sad predicament, and you fully understand how unlocking this Ka could really help our family, " he paused, silently gazing at Sa Min with hoping eyes. "Won't you try activating it once more?" he asked gently, handing him a knife.

"Yes, of course father," said Sa Min tranquilly. “I’ll do everything to help you.”

The Black-slowed Hold Ka was a rank 3 storage Ka type, the same Ka the mysterious Ka Immortal had handed it to Sa Huiqing to give to Sa Min when he came of age.

Its Yantra was one of those Yantras that activated not by Pure Force but by blood. The very one of him whose blood activated it, would be the sole individual capable of unlocking the Ka. If the blood the Ka Master employed to activate the Ka belonged to any other, even to the Ka Wielder himself, he could not unlock the Ka.

And the Ka which Sa Huiqing was holding, required the blood of Sa Min himself to unlock it.

When the greedy parents had overcome their dread of the Ka Immortal, they had attempted to unlock it using the infant Sa Min's blood. But much to their astonishment, they hadn't succeeded.

To open the Ka, one did not need merely the blood of its owner, its owner must also be not unwilling to open it. This wasn’t why the parents were shocked, though. This particular Ka was well known and Sa Huiqing knew of this requisite. What shocked them was how a baby who knew a nought of the Ka could be unwilling.

They tried many times. And failed each time. And when little Sa Min had arrived at a point when he appeared to comprehend things, Sa Huiqing began relating a story of his own invention to induce him to unlock it.

In this story, Sa Gui, Sa Huiqing's father, had been researching high and low for what caused their unexpected banishment from the Sa clan.

He eventually found some evidence that could prove their innocence. However, he faced a grave threat from a dangerous enemy. To hide the evidence he’d found in the Black-Slowed Hold Ka activating its Yantra with the blood of Sa Min before leaving.

Sa Gui never returned after that.

This was the story Sa Huiqing had made up.

“My righteous son, the family has no honor now. We are a disgrace to the clan. Do you know what they call us? The traitorous family. There is only one way to show them we’re not. You will have to unlock this Ka. I know you can open it. You are the only one,” Sa Huiqing had kept telling him.

But damn if the Ka would unlock! Though Sa Min would give them his blood, though he would give them that willingness expression, it would not unlock. And here was Sa Huiqing again, hoping in vain that Sa Min could open the Ka.

Sa Min cut his finger and let his blood fall on the Ka. Sa Huiqing watched; he waited with bated breath. One second. Two seconds. Ten seconds later, nothing happened. The Ka did not glow; it did not budge.

It did not unlock.

“I’m sorry, father, I don't know what is wrong,” Sa Min said with a sheepish tone. “I do just like you told me to, but-but—"

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” said Sa Huiqing in a pleasant way. Sa Min could see his face twitching, barely managing to keep up his amiable front. "Don't go blaming yourself. Maybe it's because you haven't opened up that Sea Core of yours. We'll try again once you do, so go on inside, son."

Thank you, father,” said Sa Min as he ambled away, tapping his wooden staff ahead of him with each step.

The Ancestral Hall didn’t seem to be his destination, though Sa Huiqing cared not a whit. Just as Sa Min vanished from behind him, the smiling mask dropped, revealing an ireful, frowny face behind.

He let out an exasperated sigh, composing himself before he made his way to his study room. He flung open the door aggressively and slammed shut behind him as he went in. “This little bastard…this little bastard is still trying to play stupid with me,” he said wrathfully. “Does he think I am stupid?”

“Sa Min still refusing to open it?” Lin Qiao, his wrinkled-looking wife, who was waiting in the room asked, scowling.

“This boy is too smart.” Sa Huiqing sighed heavily. “I don't know what he thinks it contains, but he clearly doesn't trust us.”

"So what are we going to do, then?" she said. "We tried everything with him. Maybe..Maybe we force him to unlock it?"

Sa Huiqing looked sharp at that. “Are you fucking stupid?” he asked harshly, his face reddened from anger. “This boy had the talent to reach rank 5, fucking 5! Do you want to make an enemy like that? I myself do not. That’s without mentioning his… powerful background…If we force him, we must ensure he dies before he becomes stronger than me, but if we kill him, the Ash Leaf Ka will burn and who knows what would happened.”

“So we’re just going to give it to him?”

"No chance," said Sa Huiqing firmly as he walked to the small wooden window. "The reason he’s like this is because he thinks he needs no one but himself. He’s arrogant and proud. But that won’t last for long. Not after tomorrow. When he opens his Sea Core, he will come to know how valuable we are."

The gentle drizzle of spring began falling again.

Sa Min walked out of the kitchen, putting his stick in his armpit as he held the steaming bowl of beef noodle soup and chopsticks in his hands. The aroma engulfed his nose, and Sa Min could barely calm his stomach—noodles, slices of succulent beef, vibrant green scallions, and fragrant cilantro—all bathed in a rich, golden broth. Sa Min took a deep breath, enjoying the view before he took a bite.

"Mmm, damn delicious," Sa Min muttered under his breath as he emerged from the house, propping himself against the doorframe, allowing the rain propelled by the wind to hit him.

Sa Huiqing and his wife already know that I’m aware of their intentions. They must be thinking that my stubbornness will fade away once I open my Sea Core and start cultivating. And if that doesn’t work, hehe, I bet my Borned Ka they'll try to do something else, something stupid to make me unlock the Ka.

With more than 600 years' worth of experience, Sa Min could see clearly through Sa Huiqing’s mind. Ka Wielders would do everything to gain resources for their cultivation. And these people were no different.

Tomorrow… My journey back to Immortality will start yet again…

Those bastards think without question that I have a great Sea Core, but I know better. Just because the parents of this body are Ka Immortals, that doesn't not guarantee superior aptitude… that is, if they are.

I may have it, I may not. Everything is possible.

Sa Min looked up toward the sky, adorned with a gentle veil of clouds, and a smile crept across his cold face. But isn’t this why life is so interesting?

Suddenly, there was a thundering sound. Sa Min's eyes quickly turned towards the source of the sound. In the distance, he spotted four black horse-like-beasts thundering toward the house, their terrifying speed piercing through the dense forest.

When they drew close enough, Sa Min could see the riders. They wore a green cloth band around their forehead, the metal plate attached to it etched with the Sa Clan symbol—the wolf.

Sa Clan’ reapers— didn’t they come too early?

The horse-like beasts, at their speed, suddenly began to change shape, turning into a black mist. The black mist swiftly gathered together and took the form of a small, dark object before entering their Sa Core.

It all happened before the Ka Wielders’s feet hit the ground.

The Ka Wielders kept sprinting until they reached in front of Sa Min.

“Are you Sa Min, the miracle boy?” One of them asked, his face looked sad. “Is your father in the house?”

Miracle boy, huh? Sa Min thought calmly, taking another bite. Isn't the little devil what they call me?

And before he could utter a word, Sa Min heard approaching steps resonating from within the house. He stepped aside from the door, allowing Sa Huiqing, Lin Qiao and Sa Juan to pass.

"I, Sa Huiqing, am his father," declared Sa Huiqing as he stepped forward, a headband on his forehead similar to the one the Reapers had but in yellow. “You must be the Reapers appointed for this year. You came too early. Did something wrong happen within the clan?”

The three Ka Wielders bowed to Sa Huiqing, their fists pressed together in greeting. And the one who seemed to be the leader took a step forward; sorrow filled his face. “This is a terrible day for our clan indeed, Elder Huiqing,” he murmured with a depressing tone. “You are already aware of the tragedy of the three Elders who died months ago fighting the Hungry-Tigers mercenaries. It was a heavy blow to our clan indeed. But yesterday..”

Elder Huiqing? Sa Min thought, still busy with his meal. Is this going where I think it is?

“...Yesterday, the young master, the future Patriarch, returned injured from the heavenly union branch. His Essence Center was destroyed.” He said with a heavy sigh, “he can’t cultivate anymore.”

“What did you just say? The young master, injured?” Sa Huiqing’s eyes widened a bit with a slight flutter, his hands closed into tight fists. “Sa Qiao is injured?” He was genuinely shaken.

Sa Qiao was the only one in Tetra Blessing City that had a Grand Sea Core. His aptitude was High-Grade! In merely four years, he’d managed to reach rank 6. A year ago, he'd decided to join the heavenly union branch to gain resources and experience.

The young man was the hope on which the Sa Clan was relying on, to extend its dominion within the city and restore the clan to its origin status.

And now that hope seemed to be gone!

Watching the shock on Sa Huiqing’ face, Sa Min couldn't help but wonder whether his shock came from the clan's bad situation or the opportunity it would give him—definitely the last.

"Unfortunately, it’s the truth. The whole clan is still in shock. Not only do we have a shortage of Elders but we also lack someone suitable to be the next Patriarch," bitterly responded the Reaper who seemed to be forty years old. "We’re truly in an unfortunate situation compared to the other three clans."

“That's indeed an unfortunate situation." Sa Huiqing took a deep breath. “So why are you here?” he asked, though he already knew why.

“It is not hidden from anyone from the clan or from the city… how genius your son is,” said the Reaper. His eyes glanced towards Sa Min. "The boy showed all the signs of being talented, and many believe he possesses Ultra-Grade aptitude...including the Patriarch himself."

Sa Min could see Sa Huiqing’s face twitching, as if he were trying to hold back a smile—a genuine smile this time.

“The Clan Council held an emergency meeting this morning,” continued the Reaper, an object emerging from his Force Gate. “It ended with the Patriarch’s decision to pardon your family and grant you the title of Elder.” He carefully handed the object, the Elder Seal, to Sa Huiqing. “Please accept it.”

"From this moment onward, you are an Elder of the Sa Clan, and you are welcome to return to your house within the city."

Sa Min gently stirred the bowl, drinking the remaining broth, a smile on his face.

5. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 4—I already know my end
    Distant thumps of the dawn drum echoed across the Sa Clan’s district, announcing the start of a new day.

Underneath a tree, within the courtyard of his new house, Sa Min serenely sat on a stone chair, eyes closed, thinking and enjoying the gentle morning breeze. The warm scent of tea rushing into his nostrils, wafting from the clay cup he cradled.

The previous day, as nightfall descended, Sa Huiqing had completely transferred his responsibility as the head of the Drinks Barn to a Rank 2 Ka Wielder, the family then had wasted no time in returning to their ancestral house in Tetra Blessing City.

They were overwhelmed with joy, understandably so.

While they had been nominally members of the Sa Clan, there were many privileges and resources they could not access before. Now though, with the Patriarch's forgiveness, they could completely rejoin the clan and use all that their blood afforded them.

The pardon indeed lifted what must have felt like an immense burden for them.

Throughout the night, Sa Min found himself unable to sleep. It wasn't out of excitement though, like Sa Juan, who couldn't remain still for a second, pacing the courtyard's paving stones before the Moon Gate, extremely nervous for the Awakening Ceremony.

He was just… too damn bored of sleeping to sleep.

To kill time until morning came, he’d had his slave, Hou Qing, bring him tea. Many cups of tea had been drunk in the courtyard as Sa Min sat face upwards to heaven, wondering, What was going on up there? What were his enemies doing? What were his frie—Damn, Sa Min had no friends, only enemies.

There would have been no one who had mourned his death, not even his remaining children. Sa Min knew that very well, but he felt nothing—no sadness, no anger, love, or hate, and definitely no guilt.

I wonder how the world has changed in the last ten years. Sa Min mused to himself as he took another sip. But things certainly are getting more exciting… as every time a new era approaches.

Thinking that, his heavy, stony heart could not help but stir a bit with excitement. Yet this flicker of emotion stayed hidden behind his calm, indifferent face. Sa Min understood well that his excitement would not fasten his cultivation; only aptitude would.

"Brother, brother! Wake up.” Suddenly, a cry came to him, thrilled and familiar. “It's time for the Ceremony. Come on, let's go."

Sa Min languidly opened his eyes, casting his gaze over the Moon Gate. Two young women stood there—the nervous Sa Juan, anxiously wringing her pale hands, her pleading eyes urging him to hurry up. Behind her was her slave woman; she looked…like all Non-Wielder females: beautiful and submissive and depressed.

His eyes then shifted to his cup, still half full.

“Not yet,” he replied nonchalantly, raising the cup to his lips and taking a slow sip. Though the tea had cooled a bit, the sight of his sister’s fretful expression brought a hint of amusement.

“What? ...when? It’s already time!” cried Sa Juan, her silk robes fluttering anxiously. “People are already heading—”

"When I finish my cup," Sa Min interrupted, his tone calm.

"Please, please, brother." Her voice trembled, sounding as though she were about to cry. "I want to get a good position on the list."

Sa Min regarded her again, this time giving her that intimidating, piercing look that always made her count her toes. "Am I speaking to a donkey with big lips and a hairy, ugly pimple?" he calmly asked, a hint of mockery in his voice. "Or maybe you’re deaf?... I've already told you, but it seems you're not listening."

“I’m…”

She mumbled something, covering her mouth, her face distorted with anger and injustice and frustration and unwillingness.

“If you think going first will somehow give you a good Sea Core,” Sa Min paused, taking another sip. “Then go yourself.”

"My fath-father… He told me to follow behind you."

Sa Min shrugged a bit. “Then wait, dear sister.” He gave her that faint smile of his, and with a huff, she abruptly turned and stormed away, with each step pounding the ground. Her slave obediently followed.

Curious what she would do if her aptitude turned out to be superior, Sa Min rumbled to himself, a wry grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. He already knew. She'd be trouble. That, for damn sure.

Slowly, Sa Min savored the last sips of his tea. When it was gone, he rose and stretched the laziness away from him. "Hou Qing," he called, "bring water." Nearby and waiting, Hou Qing hurried to him.

He washed himself as always, then headed outside. Sa Juan, who was hidden nearby, silently followed behind him through the Moon Gate with her face down and clenched fists.

Sa Min didn’t give her no mind, as he noticed a bunch of Ka Wielders sitting in the forecourt.

Noticing his presence, they hastily stood up, waiting for him to approach.

“Greetings,” said one of them, his headband was green—rank 2. “You must be Sa Min, right?”

Sa Min frowned, but he had an idea why they were here. “That me, something wrong?”

“No, not at all,” said the Ka Wieder with a deformed ear, his voice filled with respect. One must show respect for those of high status, after all, especially for one with such Ultra-Grade aptitude as the young man before him who would surely lead them all one day, or that’s what they assumed.

“Before your parents went to the Sa Clan’s main courtyard, your father ..in fact, the clan has ordered us to escort you there,” he explained..

“Why is that?” asked Sa Min knowingly.

“You have just arrived in the city, so you may not know.” The Ka Wielder paused, carefully considering his words. “There have been incidents in the city where Ka Wieders disappeared; all those Ka Wielders have one thing in common,” he hesitated. “...Colored eyes…”

Black hair, and almond-shaped dark brown eyes, and white skin— that was how humans of the Western World generally looked. It was very rare to see someone with blonde hair, or blue eyes, or brown skin.

And when someone with such distinctive features did appear, opinions differed. Some found them beautiful due to their uniqueness, and some found them ugly and less appealing due to their... well, uniqueness.

The Ka Wieder obviously was afraid of offending Sa Min, for Sa Min had dark red eyes, and different looking in overall.

But when Sa Min's expression didn’t change, the Ka Wielder let out a sigh of relief. He really didn’t want to offend the next Patriarch, or that’s what he thought.

Sa Min raised an eyebrow. “So the clan fears I may be next because of my red eyes.”

He hadn't lived the last ten years sleeping, of course. From time to time, he would have descended to the city to gather information about where he was, the rules, the traditions, the people, and all that stuff that he needed to survive as a weak Ka Wieders. And also to pass time.

But in the last months, as the news of the colored eyes people disappearances spread, Sa Min decided to stay at the mountain house, avoiding any unnecessary risks. Since he was a colored-eyes himself.

“Well, yes, that's one reason,” replied the Ka Wider. “Also, in case the other clans tried something stupid. Who knows, you have Ultra-Grade aptitude, after all”

“Please, the ceremony is…” In the background, Sa Juan tried to point out the time, but no one seemed to notice her.

Sa Min smiled at the respectable man. "Don't praise me too much. I haven't even passed the test yet."

"No, no, you definitely have it," another Ka Wielder piped up, his eyes filled with admiration. "No one doubts that, and you shouldn't either."

“No doubts?” Sa Min took a deep breath. “I hope so.”

I really hope so. Not only would that make my cultivation much easier, but it would also give me time to figure out the lifespan problem.

But… If Heaven tried to play its usual games and it turns out I only have a shitty Sea Core, I would be fine…I had a shitty Sea Core before and I managed to ascend. There are ways…demonic ways. Besides, Sa Min nonchalantly scratched his nose to cover the creepy smile on his face. Seeing these stupid people’s eyes realizing how stupid they were would be enough to make my day. Heer heer…

“All right, it’s time; let’s hit the road,” said Sa Min, seeing the sun’s light had already touched everything, and they stepped out of the house, the Ka Wielder leading the way towards the heart of Sa Clan’s district.

After a time of walking, Sa Juan and others eventually found themselves on the main street.

Trying to simmer down her anger, Sa Juan took a slow breath, lifting her gaze from this piece of shit in front of her to the bustling street—the high buildings of Tetra Blessing City stood proudly, at least two stories high, their rooftops elaborately decorated with colorful tiles and intricate carvings.

Though it was empty of carriages, the cobbled street bustled more so than ever; countless people of all kinds came flocking towards the Arena from every alley, all wearing colorful robes and decorated with talismans. And most importantly, they all sported the Clan’s headbands.

The dusty flagstone paving ground was filled with Wanted posters.

The noise of chatters and excited laughters sounded like a loud hum.

Today was no ordinary day for the City, but even more so for the Sa Clan. Was it not true that a member of the Sa Clan was about to open his Legendary Sea Core? The anticipation was evident as everyone yearned to bear witness to this moment, a moment that hadn’t happened in hundreds of years.

And then…

"Hey, guys! Look, ain't that Sa Min?" one exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's him! Look at his eyes, man! They're..."

"Check out his expressionless face. Maybe those rumors about him killing a Non-Wielder when he was just five are true... Maybe he's really a little devil."

"I've heard he got visions from Heaven in the form of Yantras..."

"Doesn't matter; he's still the descendant of a traitor…"

Voices filled with shock and awe and jealousy echoed around her as people began to recognize that evil shit, Sa Min. Each praising word she heard felt like a needle stabbing her heart, making it harder and harder for her to breathe.

As though enjoying the attention, Sa Min moved forward at a leisurely pace, flanked by five Rank 2 Ka Wielders, leading the crowds to clear his path.

Sa Juan, her hands over her ears, yarned to scream, hard and loud, to demand attention, to implore: Look at me! I am here too; please look at me! Yet her rapid, labored breaths stifled her throat.

This is unfair. This is unfair, Sa Juan whispered to herself, trying to subdue her tempestuous emotions, knowing that if she were to collapse onto the ground, people would trample over her, following that worthless shit.

Please Heaven, please please, people don’t know that he is evil. I know, I know very well. Sa Min screamed within her heart. Please don’t give him the Legendary Sea Core, he doesn't deserve it…I do, I deserve it, I truly do…

Glancing around and seeing the many eyes on him, watching and admiring, Sa Min felt nothing. His expression remained as it had been, indifferent.

The loud praises and the envious whispers couldn’t reach his stone-cold heart, let alone touch it. He would be damn stupid if it did. For who feels joy or pain from the words of others besides the stupid?

There are few things I have found enjoyment in during my life, Sa Min scoffed within his heart. but seeking others' attention has never been among them, even in my stupid days.

What if they see you handsome or ugly, strong or weak, righteous or evil, rich or poor—so what? What significant do their opinions hold besides restricting your already restricted freedom?

When I plummet from this meaningless bridge of life, will they be there with me in the void? I don’t think so…We came to this world with nothing, and we’re going to leave with nothing. People try to make themselves forget about that because they fear what that means. But I never forget. I’m living knowing that eventually…eventually, I would lose everything.

6. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 5—The awakening ceremony begins!
    It didn’t take long before Sa Min and his five guards arrived at the main courtyard— Sa Juan was likely behind somewhere… If she hadn't gone missing in the crowd.

Calmly, Sa Min looked around, disregarding the many curious onlookers and their noises.

The main courtyard sprawled before him, a spacious space where members of the Sa Clan trained their Yantras and cultivated. At its heart stood a large six-story pagoda, serving as the residence of the Patriarch and a gathering place for the Clan's Elders.

Beside the pagoda was a circular, medium-sized arena; a huge black canopy was above it, floating, shielding it from the sunlight.

“Young man,” said the deformed-eared Ka Wielder that was leading the way as they reached the arena. “I know you're excited to take your seat and stuff, but first, you must go to the Elder Sa Yu Guo so he can check your Force Gate.” He stopped and turned his head, offering Sa Min a smile. “Don't sweat it—I'll show you the way.” And then he stepped in.

Sa Min merely nodded, his face showing no excitement or whatsoever, as he followed suit.

Inside the shaded arena, the stands were divided into three sections. The largest one was designated for the watchers; their seats weren't full yet as they still continued to stream in. Whilst the areas designated for participants and Elders looked much smaller and already filled.

The boisterous noise of the crowds' conversations suddenly subsided as all eyes noticed Sa Min’ presence. For a moment, the place fell into a hush, then the clamor returned, louder and filled with excitement.

As though they didn't exist, Sa Min continued on walking, his unflinching eyes fixed on the Elder's area.

On the upper stairs of the stands was a slender, middle-aged man sitting alone, surrounded by four finely dressed women.

The Patriarch, Sa Min thought to himself, witnessing the man as he boldly grabbed one of the ladies’ asses and, without shame, smelled it. The womanizer Patriarch...maybe the rumors have some truth after all.

Descending into the city to gather information, Sa Min had, of course, come across rumors and stories about the Sa Clan’ Patriarch and his habit.

Seemed the skinny Patriarch had an unnatural urge, supposedly needed to ride a woman every hour, or else he would go mad.

Not that Sa Min had any problem with that.

Upon reaching the high yellow Arena floor, Sa Min saw an old man sitting on a rickety chair on the edge of the stage, impatiently tapping his foot.

Even from a distance, Sa Min could see the man’s wrinkled face, scowling. Two pairs of circular glasses perched on his long nose, and the snow-white beard spilled from his chin. Atop his head perched a tattered straw hat above his green headband, completing his odd appearance.

Sa Min knew the man. It was Elder Sa Yu Guo, the master of the Sa Clan’ Library and also one of the three teachers of the city's schoolhouse— the cultivation class’ teacher.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the arrogant Sa Min," chuckled Elder Sa Yu Guo, his deep voice sounded like he wished to hit him. “You were walking on eggs or something?”

Sa Min smiled as he stepped onto the stage, the wooden boards groaned and complained beneath his leather boots. "Elder," he offered a convincing greeting, bowing formally with two fists pressed together, "I apologize for being late. The crowd is—"

The Elder clicked his tongue disapprovingly. "Always making excuses.”

Then, the twisted eared Ka Wieder in the side, swallowed loudly and stepped forward. "Please forgive him, Elder," he said, head down. "The fault is mine. I’m the one who was leading him."

Elder Sa Yu Guo gazed into them both with his small, beady eyes before heavy sighing, dismissing the guard with a wave of his hand and addressing Sa Min “Alright, alright, get over here,” he grumbled. “And take off that filthy robe— let’s see first if your Force Gate has formed completely.”

Complying silently, Sa Min slipped off his belt and black robe to stand bare-chested before the crowd. He felt the Elder's fingers, calloused and cold, checking the block round point on his stomach area, just atop the navel.

The Elder grunted as he recorded something in a book. "So the Force Gate is established,” he said, a hint of satisfaction in his voice. “But remember boy, the talent is merely legs, you still had to climb the mountain yourself. Now get to your place.” He gestured with his head towards the participant's area, "And await your turn... You happen to be the last one to—"

Before the Elder could finish his words, a desperate cry pierced the space, interrupting him. “I’m- I’m still here…please…”

Sa Juan, disheveled and drenched in sweat, stumbled into view, tears streaming down her sorrowful face.

Sa Min's eyes widened a bit in shock, not at the sight of Sa Juan, of course, but at the sudden, searing sensation that seeped into his very bones. It felt as though an invisible hand was chiseling away at his flesh, etching an indelible mark on his back.

Could it be?... Sa Min considered, pushing the sudden surprise and the fierce itching that felt like it would ruin his mind aside and swiftly putting his robe back and tightening his belt. He gave the Elder a quick bow, then retreated towards the participants' area, his thoughts racing.

There, a group of youths awaited their inevitable moment, around 70. Most of the young men, if not all of them, were bare-chested, showing without shame, their skinny and weak m…of what appeared to be muscles. While most young women beautified themselves in elegant dresses.

All their gazes silently followed Sa Min as one as he picked his way through with calm steps, his staff tapping against the ground with a thud, thud sound.

His face was blank, as always. Not that the burning pain on his back had ended; it just… in the Pit, he'd learned to suffer worse, much worse without making an ugh of sound.

I need to find a spot near the side that overlooks the Elders' area, to see them personally… maybe I can hear their conversations too…that would be better.

See, Sa Min had learned much from his parents and from the city over the past thirteen years. Certainly more than most others in the Clan knew. But they were only rumors and words; he needed to see things for himself.

Oh, yes…that one would be better.

Sa Min approached a seat at the far edge, having the perfect view for both the stage and Elders’ area. Someone had already sat there— a young woman. But that wasn’t a problem, was it?

"Out of the fucking seat," he calmly said, paying no mind to the eyes that were on him, rather, he squinted aside to the near Elders' area.

The Elders sat there, some elderly, some young, laughing and conversing with each other, Some cast their gaze upon him, Sa Huiqing was one of them. But he couldn't hear a thing, as though a shroud of silence enveloped them.

Some concealing Yantra must be in work, preventing others from hearing their voices. Sa Min sighed, before turning his head to the dumbfounded young woman.

The young woman simply stared up, open-mouthed, “What?..”

"Pleease," added Sa Min, offering what he thought was a gentle smile. Little did he know; it only made him look more scary.

The young lady swallowed aloud at his glare, then quickly stood up and walked away.

As he made himself comfortable in his seat, Sa Min looked over his shoulder. The pain had stopped, and he had the urge to check what was there to confirm his guess. But Sa Min knew that there might be Kas recording around, and that would only lead him to unnecessary troubles.

Those who hastened, had died…I’ll check it out as soon as I get home. Sa Min thought, turning his head towards Sa Juan who had just arrived, covering her mouth and searching for a seat under the laughters of some kids.

Sa Min gave her a faint smile before turning back to look at the Elders, to see if he could make out something from their mouths.

"Playtime’s over, kids. Listen up." Suddenly, the voice of the Elder Sa Yu Guo boomed out from the stage across the arena, capturing everyone's attention. "Eyes front before I plow them out of your skulls."

The children instantly fell silent. Everyone knew Elder Sa Yu Guo and everyone knew he wasn’t joking.

“You all know who I am, and you all know why you’re here, so I’m not going to waste anyone's time on this,” said the Elder, his tone serious. “This is indeed a crucial moment for you; it will determine how far you can reach and your status within the clan and the world. But…”

The Elder paused for a moment, sweeping his small eyes through the tensed children.

"But make no mistake, you’re all returning home with your Sea Core opened, you're all going to start cultivating today." Elder Sa Yu Guo slapped his knees before tossing his chair back and standing up. "True, some of you hold superior aptitude to reach higher ranks than others. But, always remember, the foundation, the breaks, the pillars, the summit are all important for the house to stand. You’re all important pieces of our clan, be it as a lowly Rank 1 or an esteemed Rank 4, we all got our part to play in sheltering this clan from the enemies."

Sa Min watched the children grinning like idiots. And why not? It was a good lie to comfort themselves with if a shitty Sea Core was what they found.

They’re little kids after all… Sa Min sighed. But they'll learn soon enough…how the world really works.

The Elder opened the book in his hand with a grunt. "You'll take any aptitude you're given and thank the ancestors for it. Now let’s see who’s first to face his fate...” He glanced down at the book before announcing. “Sa Gou Wei, get your fat ass over here!”

And all heads in the arena turned as one to watch the young man stand. The kid's face was puffed, puffed enough to make you wonder how on three realms he could see.

Sa Gou Wei was the scion of the second influential faction’s leader in the clan, Sa Gou Wen.

Sa Min had learned about the Gous from how much Sa Huiqing had talked about them. Sa Huiqing hated them like he hated no one.

Understandably so.

When the leader of Lis, Sa Li Huiqing’s grandfather had mysteriously vanished sixty years ago, it was the Gous that had advocated for the banishing of the Li family, as these two rival factions had always been at war with each other.

And seemingly still were. Sa Min noticed Sa Li Huiqing glaring murderously at Sa Gou Wen as though he wished to throttle the life out of him.

Elder Sa Yu Guo lightly slapped Sa Wei with his book against the back of his head as he stepped onto the stage. “You have to lose some weight, kid. Look at your breasts, like those of girls. And you, without shame…” He gave his head another hit. “Showing them to the world. Those… those things are women’s things, you need to cover them with a chest wrap. Seriously, what were you doing all these years…gorging!” Another hit, harder this time. And the crowd burst into laughters.

“I-I was training Kung Fu, I swear!” protested Sa Wei, shielding his bald head with his arms.

"Huh! Is there a breast-hitting technique in kung fu that I'm not aware of?

“Actually, the— ” Another hit. More laughters.

“Alright, alright, that’s enough,” said the Elder Sa Yu Guo as he moved towards the heart of the stage, his tone becoming serious. “Follow after me”

A circular spot was there, covered with a finely crafted silk covering, and it was a bit elevated and designed for only one person to sit. Beside it stood a big wooden receptacle, intricately engraved and filled with white apples— Force Apples.

“Take four Force Apples, and go sit over there,” commanded the Elder Sa Yu Guo. “And I’ll assume you already know what to do, don't you?"

“Of course, Elder Mo,” replied Sa We with a nod as he snatched four of the Force Apples up, putting them on a nearby wooden plate before making his way to the designated circle. Seating his fat ass on the ground, legs crossed, he placed the plate before him.

Everyone in the arena carefully watched him in silence.

He then closed his closed eyes, grabbed one of the Apples, and gingerly positioned it before his Force Gate. Instantly, the Force Apple shivered, then energy like a white smoke began coming out of the Apple and entering his Force Gate.

The more Primal Force came out of the Force Apple, the weaker the Apple became. It continued like this for moments before the Apple became lifeless in his hand, all shriveled like a dead leaf.

Closing his fist, it slipped from his hands like dust.

“One Apple,” announced the Elder Sa Yu Guo, his voice echoing in the air. “He escaped the Ordinary Sea Core.”

The crowd roared. And the looks on the kids' faces seemed to be ones of jealousy.

Without opening his eyes—or maybe he did; it was hard to tell—Sa We's hand reached out again, finding another Force Apple, the same size as the first—they were all the same size. And again, placing it before his stomach, letting his Force Gate absorb the Primal Force within.

Became dry again, and the Elder announced, a hint of satisfaction in his voice. "Two Apples, you escaped the Average Sea Core."

Some kids were holding their heads in shock.

Sa We grabbed the third Force Apple and began absorbing it yet again. But this time, he only managed to absorb a bit before his face twitched for a moment, as though someone were tickling his flat feet. Then a smile spread across his puffy face.

"Sa We, the Medium Aptitude, the Elite Sea Core," announced the Elder Sa Yu Guo, and the crowds went noisy. The kids around were watching with open mouths, a look of disbelief on their faces. The Elders, on the side, began shaking Sa Gou Wen’s hand, congratulating him.

The Aptitude of Ka Wielders was determined by their Sea Core’ type—from Very-Low Aptitude to Ultra Aptitude. Those who had Ordinary Sea Core, possessed Very-Low Aptitude. The best they could reach in their lives was the Apex Stage of Rank 1. They were the foundation of every Clan.

Eight in ten Ka wielders in the world had Very-Low Aptitude.

Then there were the Ka wielders with Average Sea Core, backbone of every clan. With Low aptitude, three years of cultivating and they'd reach their limit—rank 2.

As for those who possessed Elite Sea Core, they had Medium Aptitude. They were considered rare and important, requiring the attention of their Clan, for they would be able to reach Rank 3 in about 10 years, eventually becoming Elders of the Clan.

And those who had the Grand Sea Core, the High Aptitude, very very rare, and must be taken care of. There were only five people with it: the Patriarch of the three Clans, one of Duo Clan’s members—he was Rank 2 Ka Wielders now. And the City Lord.

In the Common Clans like Sa Clan and the other two within the City, Rank 4 was the Patriarch.

But those who possessed the Ultra Sea Core, those with Legendary Aptitude, were considered invaluable and had to be protected at all costs. They had the potential to reach Rank 5, which is the highest level a Ka Wielder can achieve in the Lower Realm.

Once a Common Clan got a Rank 5 Ka Wilder, it would evolve into a Great Clan.

That meant, Sa Wei had the chance to become an Elder of the Sa Clan, so long as he continued to cultivate without any problem.

That was the reason everyone was cheerful and shocked.

The Elder Sa Yu Guo raised an eyebrow. “You must have awakened your Borned Ka,” he said in a curious tone.

Sa We nodded as he stood up, his smile widened. “Should I summon it, Elder?” He asked, his voice filled with excitement.

And before the Elder could make a sound, a Ka flew from Sa Wei’s Force Gate.

It looked like an eye with delicate butterfly wings, flapping madly, its black pupils darting around terribly fast.

“The Black Flying Eye,” said the Elder Sa Yu Guo, his wrinkled hand stroking his white beard. “Interesting… This Ka works only with one Yantra, the Hidden Eagle Sight Yantra.”

“What is its ability?” asked Sa Wei eagerly as he approached the Elder.

Elder Sa Yu Guo’s scowl face scowled even further. “You don’t even know that?” He growled, lightly striking him again on the head. “Seriously, what were you doing these fifteen years, spoiled brat?” Another blow followed.

“I-I-I was, I was studying Yantras, I swear,” stammered Sa Wei, an exaggerated pout on his face. “But I never heard of this one.”

Elder Sa Yu Guo let out a heavy sigh as though he wished to kill him, then and there. "Just wait, you dog-faced; I'll fix your ignorance in the schoolhouse." He shook his head. "I’ll fix your weight too. By the end of next year, you'll become skinny...skinny as a stick. Just wait."

Sa We looked up sharp at that. “That…” But Elder Sa Yu Guo had already shifted his attention towards someone standing just outside the stage’s edge. “Bring the headband,” he commanded. And a Rank 2 Ka Wielder swiftly came, respectfully holding, with both hands, a well-arranged blue headband with a metal plate attached to it etched with the Sa Clan symbol—a fearsome wolf.

Elder Sa Yu Guo took the headband, dismissing the woman with a nod, then turned back towards Sa Wei, his face solemn. Sa Wei, as though he knew what was about to happen next, composed himself.

The arena also fell into an expectant silence.

The Elder stared down Sa Wei for moments, then barked. “To which clan do you belong?” His voice was louder than needed.

“The Sa,” shouted Sa Wei.

“Do you love your Clan?”

"Above all else!" screamed Sa Wei, spittle flying.

“What can you do for your clan?”

“I’ll sacrifice myself!” Louder still.

“What Else?”

“I’ll sacrifice my father!”

“What Else?”

"I’ll sacrifice my mother!" He stopped, panting, his face twisted in a smile of satisfaction.

The crowd roared in approval. Louder than ever. Sa Min could barely make out the Elder’s words to Sa Wei on the stage.

Moments later, Sa We stepped outside the stage, heading back to his seat, in the midst of everyone's applause.

7. Windofle

Windofle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 6—Words from future
    The Elder Sa Yu Guo raised his weathered hand to the crowd to hush, then turned his scrowled face towards the anxious children, waiting to be called.

“You all know what to do by now,” his voice boomed over the murmurings. “When your name is called, I want to see you running over here, and I want you to open your Sea Core quickly, you understand?"

The kids nervously nodded, and the Elder squinted down his long nose at the book of names in his hand.

"Second is…Sa Xiu Lan," he grumbled.

Sa Min's eyebrow went up at that. Wasn't she the daughter of Elderess Sa Xiu Ting? He calmly thought, then looked sidelong at the Elder’s area.

The Elderess in mind was on the lower stairs of the stands; she looked pale as a bloodmen, wrinkled like a prune... barely managing to stand, leaning on a stick thicker than herself and twice taller than her arched form.

She was… half-corpse already.

The Elderess Mummy... repeated Sa Min to himself, recalling what he knew about her.

In the wake of the Li family's exile, Medicine Hall's faction had taken the opportunity to expand its influence within the Sa Clan's district, becoming the third most powerful faction within the clan.

And the mummy Sa Xiu Ting over there was the leader of the Medicine Hall’s faction. She was considered the number one healing Ka Wielder within the Sa clan— if not the whole city, had saved many of the Elders’s lives, for many times. So she naturally earned their gratitude, granting her a ton of influence.

But seemed like… that influence was coming to an end.

See, brothers, the lifespan of Ka Wielders’ bodies stopped at a hundred years. Didn't matter what cultivation rank you had or how strong your battle strength was, your body would fall off the bridge once they hit the hundred.

And even a blind Non-Wielder with his brain in his little finger could see the Elderess Sa Xiu Ting right there... Well, she hadn’t much left.

Her fingers barely clutching to the bridge.

Activating the Longevity Yantra types? Bah!… Their Kas were too damn rare. Even the Ka Immortals themselves were struggling really hard to find them. So unless she was incredibly, unbelievably fortunate, she could only dream of them.

Once she died— without any High Aptitude Ka Wielders in her family or the families aligned with her faction— the Gous and Patriarch's faction would devour her faction like a Wildbeast; they would swallow it completely.

Finding himself sinking lower in his seat, Sa Min straightened his back then turned to watch the young woman.

Visibly nervous, Sa Xiu Lan strided towards the circular spot, snatching three Force Apples from the wooden receptacle on the way before settling herself into a crossed-legs position.

She must be her last hope. Sa Min thought.

Under the curious gazes of everyone in the arena, she placed a Force Apple before her Force Gate, closing her eyes. Primal energy surged forth, flowing into her Gate, and the Force Apple began to wither and dry.

It continued like that for minutes—a way longer than what Sa Wei had taken— and before the Force Apple went completely dry, Sa Xiu Lan’s eyes snapped open. Disbelief etched across her face. Her trembling mouth opened, but no sound came out.

Elder Sa Yu Guo must've sussed it out though, for he let out a disappointed sigh and swiftly wrote a note before declaring, "Sa Xiu Lan, less than a Force Apple, Ordinary Core, Very-Low aptitude."

Murmurs rippled through the crowd; disappointment was evident on their faces.

Some faces of participants' kids held a grudging pity, watching her, while others could not contain their relief… relief that the one’s family held little sway over his Aptitudes.

Over in the elders' section, the Elderess Sa Xiu Lan’s face grimaced, cursing Heaven—Sa Min couldn't hear her of course, but he didn’t need to. She spat at the direction of the fatty Elder, Sa Gou Wen, who appeared to be enjoying himself, then limped back to her seat.

Still shocked, Sa Lan stood up and approached Elder Sa Yu Guo. “S-should I summon my Borned Ka,” she said, her voice shaking.

"There's no time for that, but you will be asked to reveal it when registering for your first monthly wage," replied the Elder, gruff as he reached out for the headband from the Ka Wielder beside him.

She then took the oath and answered the questions, her voice low, and depressed, and monotonous. The Elder handed her the headband and waved her away, already calling the next name.

Sa Xiu Lan dragged herself from the stage, returning to her seat, loudly sobbing.

Without a strong Sea Core, she'd be stuck in the lowest ranks for… the small life the Rank 1 Ka Wielders had.

The ceremony dragged on, and Elder Sa Yu Guo kept on calling names. Four hours passed slowly—so damn slowly that Sa Min ran out of yawns.

It was…unbelievable! Sa Min hadn’t eaten his breakfast, hadn’t even taken his morning shit.

Anyway, it turned out that the overwhelming majority of these children only possessed Very-Low Aptitude— nothing surprising. Eight in ten Ka wielders in the world had Very-Low Aptitude.

And only about twelve of them, maybe, had Low Aptitude, and that was not impressive at all.

As for another Medium Aptitude…

Sa Min looked around the boisterous arena, a cacophony of joyous roars filling the air. The participant children around him—all wearing blue headbands, except for him and Sa Juan—couldn’t hold their envy from showing as they cast longing stares at the young man on the stage.

Understandably so; he was another young man with Elite Core.

The kid—Sa Shun, with his hair braided in tight cornrows, was laughing and arrogantly extending his arms wide, as though trying to hug the whole crowd.

Sa Mind started to the side at the Elders. They were all staring at the half-standing Elderess Mummy. Some looked genuinely happy as they congratulated her. But others didn't look that happy; Sa Gou Wen was definitely one of them.

A sardonic smile curled on his lips. "Looks like this Sa Shun belongs to her faction," he thought, forcing an unexisting yawn. "Well, good for her! She's managed to find… something to keep her distracted from what awaits her…stupid mummy."

Among the Elders, Sa Huiqing's smiley eyes kept flickering over to him, as though guarding his Borned Ka.

Ignoring him, Sa Min turned his attention to the stage and watched Sa Shun as he took his oath.

As soon as Sa Shun walked off of the stage to everyone's applause, Sa Min, without waiting for his name to be called, snatched his plain black stick and lifted himself up, groaning loudly as he stretched his muscles.

Though the pain in his back had long gone, there was still this damn itching sensation, like something was stuck to his back. Sa Min brushed off the feeling as he glanced around.

The children watched him, silent, wide-eyed, shut-mouthed. Their faces were filled with reverence and admiration and a lot of envy. Except for this San Juan.

Sitting alone, isolated by the other children, covering half of her face by her slave, she just looked… miserable and afraid and angry—so much anger coming from those naive eyes.

What a pitiful slave! Sa Min walked down the stands, slowly and calmly as usual, the stick doing all the work. Living for what others say—that is one thread of slavery, for sure. But again, who could truly say he is free from all the threads of slavery?

Then that dog-faced Sa Wei came waddling up, extending his hand for a shake. "G-greetings, um, friend? My name is Sa Wei. I've heard of you; I mean, who hasn't?" He let out a nervous chuckle, scratching his sweaty, balding head. "Hope we can be friends in the schoolhouse, though I know our fathers aren't..."

Sa Min walked by him without a word, as though the fat boy were invisible, and headed towards the stage.

The sound thud, thud of his stick hitting against the ground grew louder with each step as the crowd's clamor gradually died away. People had begun to notice him.

And by the time he reached the platform, all eyes were on him; the arena went dead silent now, as though everyone had stopped breathing. Just thud, thud, and the sound of his steps could be heard.

That was normal. After all, wasn't he the miracle boy who had shown signs only Ka Wielders with Legendary Core showed before opening their Sea Core? The people who could reach Rank 5— and what do you know about Rank 5?

On the stage, the scowling Elder Sa Yu Guo rose from his wooden chair, pushing his circular glasses back before beckoning him over with his head.

Without a second of hesitation, Sa Min stepped onto the weathered platform, as calm as always, making his way to the big wooden receptacle, the aged boards beneath him groaning.

Still one complete Force Apple and half remained after Sa Shun’s awakening, Sa Min only took three of the Force Apples with both hands and continued his walk to the designated circle

The Force Apple felt a bit cool and heavy, their surface slick as glass, their color white as snow.

Getting there, Sa Min threw one last glance around the silent faces impatiently staring at him. A smile formed on his face, swiftly stifled by a soft sigh. Sitting himself down, legs crossed, Sa Min placed the three Force Apple before him next to the two, and his stick in his side.

He then calmly closed his cold eyes, then held one of the Apples to his Force Gate. straightway, the Force Apple trembled in his hand, feeling the Primal Force flowing into Force Gate.

It felt like... that refreshing feeling you get when you wash your penis in cold water and walk out into the cold breeze

After some time, Sa Min opened his eyes, the Force Apple now spent and dry. Brushing away its leavings from his hand, he picked up another one.

The Force Apples were the pure density of the Primal Force, in the form of matter. Such Apples could only be found within the White Garden.

These Force Apples were more than mere fruit, of course; they were vessels of pure Primal Force…or more accurately, they were the tangible form of condensed Primal Force. Such valuable resources could only be found within the White Garden.

And what was the White Garden?

It was the foundation of these three Common Clans, and it was the most guarded and valuable place in the city as it produced large amounts of Apple Force.

It was the reason the Tetra Blessing City existed.

You see, nearly 900 years ago, after the Bloodthirsty Invasion Incident had occurred in the area, the survivors clans had banded together and moved to this place after discovering it contained a White Garden, thus forming Tetra Blessing City.

Before Sa Min began absorbing the next Apple Force, he glanced up at Elder Sa Yu Guo nearby, his face indifferent.

The Elder looked…more scowled than he normally was.

Sa Min couldn't help but snicker in his heart. For he knew exactly why.

As you know, one of the aspects that differentiates the five Aptitudes was the speed of absorbing the Primal Force. And the time Sa Min took to completely absorb the first Force Apple did not… look great at all.

This absorption speed, I can tell which Sea Core I've got. Heer, heer... It's just like my first time, no doubt about it.

Once more, Sa Min closed his eyes, his face showing no excitement or whatsoever as he placed the Force Apple before his Force Gate, letting the Primal Force flow in.

It continued like this for moments. Then, suddenly, Sa Min felt a weird…. it was as though he were being stripped naked in the snow. Goosebumps ran over him, awakening every hair on his body

Sa Min paid the strange sensation no mind, though, as he steadfastly fixed his inner sight on his spherical Sea Core that had just opened. It had been quite some time since he saw it, but still, it looked all familiar.

A layer of sky blue enveloped the Sea Core, or Dantian as some called it. With a surface as rough and rugged as a wild beast's hide, this reflected the natural state of Rank 1 Ka Wielders' Sea Core walls in the Early Realm. These walls served two key functions— Supporting the Sea Core from collapsing was one of them.

The Sea Core in itself was an enigmatic, internal, separated space that shared no physical space with any organs. Its size, however, differed based on one's Aptitude.

For example, the size of the Ordinary Sea Core was only 20% of the size of the Legendary Sea Core

Within Sa Min’s Sea Core lay his unique Pure Force—normal blue in color, smooth as glass, glittering with tiny copper flicks—the Copper-blue Pure Sea, the kind of Pure Force that only Ka Wielder at his Rank possessed.

The surface of Sa Min's Copper-blue Pure Sea only made it to 80% of the size of his Sea Core. All Ka Wielders’ Sea Cores this limitation, no matter their Aptitude or cultivation Rank.

Above the serene Copper-blue Pure Sea’s surface, something was hovering—a dark jagged rock with its edges jutting out, filled with tiny darker holes glowing in red. This was the Borned Ka of the original owner of this body.

Volcanic Black Rock Ka, Sa Min mused to himself. So, the Highway of this body must be—

At that moment, the Volcanic Black Rock Ka suddenly trembled.

Now, Sa Min thought swiftly, not wasting even a second, as he immediately directed his Copper-blue Pure Sea to move with his mind. Denser than water, his Pure Force flowed toward the Ka before tightly enveloping it, invading its body.

You see, every Ka Wielder had their own Borned Ka that they borned with, their very essence, the thing that made them who they were, like their… souls, giving them their unique identity.

So even though Sa Min managed to take possession of this body, its Borned Ka was not his.

When a Ka wielder’s Borned Ka got damaged, its wielder would have a severe reaction, and when it got destroyed, the Ka Wilder would die, no doubt about it.

That was why, before the battle between him and the Red-Flames Mercenary Group, he had hidden his Borned Ka somewhere safe, proving it with enough food that would suffice it for many years.

Because if they managed to seize his Borned Ka and refine or destroy it, it would kill him no matter if he succeeded using the Yellow Mind Swap Yantra or not.

Almost without resistance, Copper-blue Pure Sea swiftly swept over the Volcanic Black Rock Ka, erasing the Owner Essence

That wasn’t the case, naturally. Refining Kas, whether they were the Borned Kas or the Created Kas, was a very difficult process, requiring a lot of Pure Force and patience, depending on their Ranks and the Ranks of their past owners.

But this Volcanic Black Rock Ka, had just awakened, still weak as it hadn’t drunk yet. Moreover, its True Owner was just a one year old baby.

That was why Sa Min had managed to refine it in no time.

Watching the Volcanic Black Rock Ka sink down into the Copper-blue Pure Sea, Sa Min calmly opened his eyes, smiling at the scene before him, indifferent to the outcome of his awakening.

The crowd was in a state of… silence, not that curious anticipation silence of before, when they had eagerly waited for him to open his Legendary Sea Core. This..this was a silence of shock as they struggled to comprehend what had just happened.

"Arrogant bastard?" said Elder Sa Yu Guo, doffing his tattered straw hat, revealing the three wisps of white hair he had. "Have you opened your Sea Core?" His voice sounded like… he was begging Sa Min to say no.

Sa Min slowly pushed himself to his feet, answering the crowd's silent question with a silent answer. Taking his time standing, his head turned this way and that, enjoying the bustling sight.

Faces contorted with rage, and disappointment, and mockery; some people were laughing like they had never laughed before, and some were already turning to leave.

"The stupid faces... never fail to entertain me," Sa Min chuckled to himself.

Before him, Elder Sa Yu Guo let out a heavy sigh. “Legendary Core… huh, what a joke," he muttered under his breath, before turning his head to look at him, staring pensively with his disappointed, beady eyes.

Only to find Sa Min’s face showed no sadness, no disappointment, no anger, no emotion at all, in truth. And that only made Sa Min’s disappointment turn into anger.

"What are you still arrogant about, little brat?" the Elder scolded harshly. "It's merely an Average Core. You…you need to hide your face in shame, like your father over there."

He nodded towards the Elders' section, where Sa Huiqin sat, his own head buried in his arms like an ostrich trying to hide itself. The Elders surrounding him attacked him with angry eyes and angry words.

"Aren't you disappointed that Heaven has betrayed you?" Elder Sa Yu Guo continued. "Aren't you angry that people are leaving you—you see them, don't you?" He nodded towards the stands that were getting emptied. "Why are you so bland? Do you not understand the importance of Aptitudes in cultivation?"

Oh, I know, trust me, little brother, I know very well the great difference between Aptitudes, not just in terms of cultivation speed or potential but also in terms of battle strength, crafting Yantras and creating Kas, and more and more...

But… I had a Low Aptitude before and I know that is the end of it. Disappointed in Heaven? Brother, if anything, I should be grateful to her, I could have transmigrated to a Non-Wielder or failed entirely...that is if she existed in the first place.

As for the people leaving me, heh, aren't they going to leave no matter what, whether they like it or not…Nah… I cut that slavery thread a long time ago.”

"Speak up, boy, or have you lost your tongue?" Elder Sa Yu Guo angrily said, running out of patience as he waited for the boy to say something. "Or do you need me to help you with this?" And here he drew near, nodding to his big, wrinkled hand as he raised it into the air, ready to slap Sa Min’s head.

“Not at all,” Sa Min coolly replied, taking one step back. “Disappointment you asked me? No, I am not disappointed, I am not angry either, Elder.”

That creepy smile of his, the one that never touched his cold eyes began forming. “And why would I. This is what my ancestors gave me, and I’m grateful for it, am I not? Beside…”

Sa Min nonchalantly scratched at his nose, knowing damn well that his smile was about to get even creepier. “Aren't we all important pieces of the clan?” He asked, a hint of mockery in his voice.

Elder Sa Yu Guo’s beady eyes widened at that, and he slowly dropped his arm. “You…” He stared at Sa Min for a moment, then let out a defeated sigh. What could he say after words like those?

"You’re right, I was a little emotional; I let my hopes run wild, and for that, I apologize." He patted Sa Min on the shoulder. "I apolo… let me see your Sea Core, boy, just to ease this old man's worries. You have no problem, do you?"

“Of course not, Elder. No problem at all,” Sa Min evenly replied, the smile still on his face.

He didn't bother checking anyone's Sea Core before me… and tossing it out like that, trying to catch me off guard. Hmm, he's definitely suspicious of me, Sa Min calmly thought to himself

Sea Cores were... more private to Ka Wielders than their private parts, and that for damn good reasons. Asking a Ka Wielder to let you see his Sea Core was more inappropriate than asking to let you see his butt, that's for sure.

But Elder Sa Yu Guo here wasn’t asking, and Sa Min was too weak to resist even that.

Out of the Elder's Sea Core, through his Force Gate, a Ka surged forth, landing in his palm. It was a tiny square mirror in the size of an egg, dangling from a long, thin wooden bamboo stick.

The Bamboo Mirror Ka, huh, Sa Min thought, recognizing the Rank 1 Ka. It was a well-known Ka that all kinds of organizations had, be it clans, sects, mercenaries, or anything else.

Its ability was to see inside a Ka Wielder’s Sea Core for one minute. But it could only work if the concerned Ka Wielder allowed it to enter.

Its ability was to see inside a Ka Wielder's Sea Core for a limited time, but it could only enter if the said Ka Wielder allowed it to enter. It could not force its way in.

With a tap of Elder Sa Yu Guo’s index finger, the Ka’s bamboo stick stretched, entering Sa Min’s Force Gate. The Elder carefully watched the reflection of Sa Min’s Sea Core in the mirror in his hand.

"What was I expecting, ah... the volcanic Black Rock Ka? Interesting," said the Elder under his breath, then the stick returned, shrinking down to its original form with a screech of sound.

The Bamboo Mirror Ka flew back to the Elder Sa Yu Guo’s Sea Core, then he loudly announced to the remaining crowds: “Sa Min, Average Core, Low Aptitude.”

Elder Sa Yu Guo then returned the Bamboo Mirror Ka to his Sea Core, before looking around and loudly announcing to the remaining crowds: “Sa Min, Average Core, Low Aptitude.”

The few people who remained in the stand, the ones that had been clutching onto a thin thread of hope, now turned and began to drift away as the Elder's clear words reached their ears.

Sa Min's gaze shifted towards the participants' section. Only a handful of children were there, and they were now leaving, casting contemptuous looks his way. Sa Juan was the only one still sitting, staring at him, her face covered with shock and disbelief.

See, it was not really obligatory for the participants to stay once they awakened their own Sea Core.

But oh, who wouldn’t want to witness the awakening of Legendary Sea Core? The Core that they only heard of in myth and books?

No one indeed. But after watching Sa Min’s failure to completely absorb the second Force Apple, most of them swiftly departed—they had just opened their Sea Core, so they were naturally eager to begin cultivation.

Not far away, Sa Min could see the womanizer Patriarch walking away from view, followed by those poor females Ka Wielder. One after the other, the Elders also began to leave, casting scornful looks at Sa Huiqing, who still hid his face between his arms.

Gradually, the noise in the arena faded away.

"Which clan do you hail from, boy?" Growled Elder Sa Yu Guo in a disappointed tone, his beady eyes on the approaching headband holder

“The Sa,” Sa Min indifferently replied, bending down to pick up his wand from the ground.

The Elder Sa Yu Guo grunted, taking the blue headband from the Ka Wielder's elegant hands and, without further questions, tossing it to Sa Min. “That's enough, boy. You're done here,” he scornfully said, then turned his wrinkled face to the nervous Sa Juan in the stand. “You, girl! Get down here."

Caught unprepared, Sa Juan nearly fell off her seat in shock. "Y-yes Elder!" she stammered, scrambling clumsily down the steps.

Wasting no more time, Sa Min immediately walked off the stage, his mind racing: I need to check my back; if it's what I think it is, I may need to change my plans, he thought with a smile.

“Brother…” Sa Juan’s mouth hung open as Sa Min passed by without so much as a glance. “That’s…”

His smiling face was…as always, calm and indifferent, seeming to not give a shit about anything.

His red eyes were…cold and empty.

His walk...was slow and measured, his stick lightly tipping against the ground.

How can he be this calm? Isn’t it merely an Average Sea Core? Isn't he afraid of what our father’s reaction would be?

Countless questions spun through her mind as she watched her brother's retreating back.

Isn't all his coldness coming from the idea that he has the Legendary Sea Core? That he is geni—

A frightening thought struck her head then, sending a wave of dread into her chest. If Sa Min, that genius— and she lived with him all these years, she knew very well how genius that piece of shit was— only had Average Sea Core, what Sea Core would she have, and she was just…normal?

Her heart started pounding.

Sa Juan took a deep breath to calm herself, then stepped onto the stage. She glanced towards Elder Sa Yu Guo, but he was paying her no mind, sitting in his chair with his head down in his book.

She nodded to him anyway before carefully taking two Force Apples from the receptacle and proceeding to the circular spot.

Taking another deep breath, Sa Juan sat down and crossed her legs.

Then, closing her eyes tightly, she began her usual begging: "Please Heaven, dear Ancestors, please, please, please, I beg you, I’ll do anything, I’ll do..."

The first Force Apple had been absorbed completely, safely escaping the Ordinary Sea Core.

She grabbed a second Force Apple, and…lucky for her, she had managed to entirely absorb it as well.

A wave of overwhelming happiness washed over her heart. “Thank you, thank you Heaven, Average Core like that evil shit…” she thought, her eyes still firmly shut.

She reached for the third Force Apple. “Another one, please, please, just this one and I’ll start giving one Force Apple to the poor monthly, I vow, please…”

And the third Force Apple, had been completely absorbed.

‘Haha, Elite Seo Core, I had Elite, thank you, thank you, I’ll never forget this, I’ll become an elder, haha’ Sa Juan thought, a feeling of joy that never experienced before coursing through her body.

She yearned to open her eyes and just let out a loud cry. And why not? Only two kids possessed Elite Sea Core this year. And now she was the third—that was unique. She was unique! Oh, how much She wanted to scream that.

Yet she held herself back, and grabbed the fourth Force Apple instead, and once more, she began to whisper, 'Just this one, if...'

The Primal Force began flowing into her Force Gate.

This time, though, she wasn't really expecting anything. She would be content with Elite Sea Core… it would definitely be enough to shock people, right?

Besides, the Grand Sea Core was something rare and unique; only the special few had it. Hadn’t it been six years since the last time someone in the clan had it—the Patriarch's son, Sa Qiao?

But then…the Primal Force stopped flowing and the chilling feeling she had heard the Ka Wielders had when they opened their Sea Core enveloped her.

This… She couldn’t dare to believe it. The High Aptitude? This couldn’t be the case, right? Disbelief enveloped her thoughts. But all her doubts were washed away as she gazed on her Sea Core with her inner sight.

This, this…

This time, the joy was too much for her to stay still. “This is the Grand Sea Core! I have High Aptitude, I…” She opened her eyes, screaming as loudly as she could.

“Look at me!” She hysterically stood up, looking around the stands like crazy. “I have the High Aptitude, I have the Grand Sea Core!”

However, apart from the faint chatter of five people over there, there was no reaction, no shouts of joy, no applause— no Sa Min, no father, no one of the asshols who had mocked her face.

There was only silence. And the Elder Sa Yu Guo, who stood clutching his glasses, his face was in complete shock.

The smile on Sa Juan's face slowly faded away.

After some time, inside his room, Sa Min gazed at the reflection of his back in the long mirror.

It was filled with strange black symbols.

But Sa Min knew that they were no ordinary symbols. They were words. Words in the ancient language.

And words from the future.

A smile spread across Sa Min's face.

The Time-Back Tattoo Yantra…