Useless Trailers

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by AliceShiki, Feb 27, 2022.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    So, this game is free on Epic rn: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/cris-tales

It's a turn-based RPG, so I wanted to at least check it out, instead of dismissing it immediately like I do with 99% of the free Epic Games.

But uhn... Oh wow, never thought I'd ever see such useless trailers advertising a game... They showed a bit of visuals, small bit of character dialogue and... That was it.

It showed 0 gameplay in the entire trailer... Then I saw the second trailer, and it just showed some game reviews, and had like... 2s of gameplay or something.

I was like... "Who makes such useless and pointless trailers...?" Like... Seriously, how does someone make trailers that are that bad?

aca.jpg

This (and one more) are the only images in the Epic page that show anything gameplay related, and it tells you more about the game than 2mins of trailer... I'm astonished by how horrible the trailers were.

Anyways, anyone that actually bothered to check out the Epic Page of this game and watch the trailers felt like the trailers were useful for you? To me they were like... Utterly and absolutely pointless and this annoyed me to no end, so I'm curious if this kind of trailer with 0 gameplay elements to it actually appeals to someone.

... Oh, right, I don't even know how their level up and/or stat system works in the slightest from the trailers and the images, which is like... Geez, why? Why give so little information? This is a turn-based RPG, give me the minimum amount of information to make me know if your game is interesting... >.>

I still downloaded it since it's free, and it's of a genre I liked, but God... Never thought I could actually get seriously disappointed by a game trailer, but this game certainly did a wonderful job at disappointing me.

Anyways thoughts about it? Did anyone actually play this? Is it actually interesting?

amilhs, mir and Ophious like this.
  2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I always check epic free section, but this time I saw that trash like trailer and completely ignored this game. then I saw your post and clicked the game store and I saw that god like trash trailer again. I thought maybe either you have bad taste or the trailer ain't showing me the whole picture.

I went on YouTube and saw a few minutes of gameplay it looks decent enough to add to my library and check it out later.

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ikr!? This trailer is just hoooooooooooooooorrible! xD
    Ah, I didn't even bother with looking at youtube. The one thing that convinced me to download the game was the picture I shared above, because like... Geez, this game is bad at advertising itself.

Glad to know a few minutes of gameplay on youtube made the game look decent though~

4. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    could you imagine if they hired these guys to make a trailer for GTA or Final Fantasy?

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Then we'd get a trailer with a modern day guy in the middle of a fantasy setting that only says stuff like "I've come here to kill Chaos!" the whole trailer! xD

Never mind the fact that even that meme trailer had actual gameplay footage in it.

6. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link

They did a fairly decent review of the game.

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that seems like a pretty unbiased review~

And on the plus side, the comments said that the grind aspect was exaggerated on the review, which is a nice plus.

On the down side, Time being mostly a gimmick that you can't even use properly on the very fights you'd want to use it kinda stinks... And well, I also dislike stuff related to timing blocks and the like in turn-based RPGs... I wouldn't be playing a turn-based RPG if I wanted to react to things in real time, geez... >.>

Seems like an... Okay game? I might play it at some point, but doesn't seem particularly amazing.

Also, it seems to have loading times in-between battles, which really stinks.

mir likes this.
  8. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly I prefer old style turn base games, but I do like to try new things. the most recent RPG I played was Octopath traveler. I am looking forward to triangle strategy.

9. ConnectFire611

ConnectFire611 [NUF Wizard] - (ᗒᗜᗕ) - (⌐▨-▨) - [Uncle of Three]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like the times I played Pokémon when I was a kid with the turn based battles.

RPGs are my favorite, like Metdroid on the gameboy.

10. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    Metroid is an action adventure platformer not an RPG.

The last Pokemon game I played was ruby and sapphire.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I often avoid watching the trailers because I tend to get more info from the pictures and get impatient with the 'look this is awesome!' that most trailers do. I only watch trailers if the images aren't useful. I looked at that game too, and checked the steam store reviews too, and saw a few more images there, so I didn't look at the trailers at all. Glad I missed that.

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I do love old turn-based RPGs too, but I certainly don't mind trying the new ones out, for as long as they're good that is~
    Ah, I do like the images because they get an overall feel of the game, but I also like the trailers because they give me an idea of what are the most shiny thingies that the devs expect me to look at in their game... But when the trailer says nothing... >.>

13. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks at the XC3 reveal trailer

Yeah, who would ever play a game without knowing a thing about the actual gameplay~
    whistles

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, when the game is part of an established franchise, it's a lot easier to buy it without worrying too much about it, because you have faith in the devs making a good game that you know you'll love~

Most of the time this works out... And sometimes you get Dragon Age Inquisition... >.>

Still, I don't mind blindly buying a game from an established franchise that I love~

Fossil and mir like this.
  15. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have a specific favorite?
    While FF7-8 are my all time favorite as I grew up playing them almost religiously I love Final fantasy tactics and the fire emblem series also Front missions series.

16. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a phone based games advertisement.

17. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anything new ? trailers are advertisment the final product normaly cant reach that

on one hand you get fany render trailers having nothing in common with the game/gameengine
    and even if you get "in game footage" ...
    watchdogs anyone ? what trailers showed was far beter than what the game delivered
    i guess i dont need to use many words when i mention cyberpunk
    one alien game hit it hard with almost every impressive feature from the trailers missing in the game
    anthem probably the biggest "missunderstanding" of the recent games history ...

and come on its not so bad on epics freebies
    a plague tale
    borderlands 2 + pre sequel
    control
    city skylines
    elite dangerous
    gta5
    hitman
    metro 2 games
    pathfinder kingmaker
    prey
    saints row 3rd
    the last 3 tomb raider games #
    civ 6
    sw battlefront 2
    vampyr
    watchdogs 2
    and that would just be the mainstream ones over the last 2 years
    darkest dungeon, frostpunk, subnautica etc got you plenty of non AAA games worth spening time on

so its at least 33% of the games worth taking a look (if you hadnt bought/played them before perhaps even with missing dlcs/addons/expansions) as epic mostly wouldnt give you brand new games but older onces of changing quality

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Phantom Brave from the bottom of my heart~ <3
    It's a bit clunky and dated, but still my favorite game ever~

After Phantom Brave though, probably Disgaea 4.

As for Final Fantasies, FF X is my favorite, but I also like FF VI quite a bit... FF II also has its charm even if it's an objectively bad game.

Oh, and Saga Frontier 2 is an amazing game.

There's also Gungnir which is pretty interesting...

Ah... And Cross Edge is a really fun Compile Heart game (same company that makes Neptunia). The game has some horribly implemented systems, and you're basically guaranteed to not only lose quite a bit of story, but also get a Bad Ending if you try playing the game without a walkthrough so like... If you ever try giving it a shot, you should 100% use a Walkthrough from the beginning until the end.
    But despite those pretty glaring flaws, the core gameplay of the game is super fun, and the story is pretty interesting, even if fairly shallow... If only they actually made the rest of the game good though... T.T
    *laughs* Even phone games have better ads than that! xD
    Yes, absolutely new.

Bad trailers are not that strange, but pointless trailers that show absolutely nothing of the game are completely new to me. I can't recall ever going to the steam page of a game, watching all trailers available in it, and then thinking like... "Okay, so what's the gameplay of the game like?" This is definitely the first time it happened to me, and I sure hope it is the last.
    I already own Borderlands, but never played it.

Out of the other games in the list, the only one that I'm remotely interested at is Civ 6, but then I remember how long each match takes and suddenly am not interested anymore.

So uhn... Yeah, I just don't care much about epic freebies in general.

19. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I probably on't play such a game that has bad endings. I like to play the game with no guide in the beginning and then try and get a perfect file after.

20. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough~

AliceShiki likes this.