Discussion Where are all the Good JP BLs!?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hasr11, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m picky with my novels. Like really picky. That’s probably the reason why I’ve got only 129 novels I’m currently reading out of which 83 are BL. Mind you, I’ve been reading novels since 2014. And out of these BL novels, there’s no Japanese ones on my reading list (I’m excluding the ones I TL). And using the series finder, there’s only 96 Japanese BL, Shounen-Ai and Yaoi included. Filtering further, there’s only 16 of them that have a rating of 4+. As for ongoing TLs, there are 60 JP BLs currently not completely TLed. Out of these, only 21 have had an update in the past one year. Most of these JP BLs are the real old Light Novels that have been translated even before NU was created. That’s why 35 of them have 0 releases, most probably cause the TLs have been deleted.

Let’s compare that to Chinese BL novels. There’s 394 BL novels, out of which 272 have a rating of 4+. 316 of them are ongoing. Out of this, 289 of them have had an update in the past 1 year. 22 of them have 0 releases, probably due to sites/TLs taken down

I do not vouch for 100% accuracy of these stats coz they were taken out while I was super tired.

So we need moar BL. Japanese BL. Fujoshis and Fudanshis Unite!!!

NovelUpdates for BL!!!!:blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

Ok I’ll probs get back to studying coz I really should be...

2. Helaine

Helaine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want more jp bl too, really need good smut :blobmelt:

3. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    just to trigger people i wanna be the cunt who says "THERE ARE NO GOOD BL!" desu

sonnen and Arexio like this.
  4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    How are they gonna take you seriously when you end your sentences with "desu"?

MarxDarkBear and WinByDying like this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? You call that being picky? o.0

I'm currently reading 29 series, out of those, 24 were either dropped by the translator or have monthly or slower release rate... >.>

I think you read plenty...

6. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    to each his own desu

7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is...Chinese is much easier to MTL and help yourself with a dictionary and translate a novel decently well. Japanese - not so much. You need a real translator there, or at least someone who's been learning the language for a while. MTL goes crazy there, so if you can't at least read hiragana or katakana to find out what the sentence really says, you're stuck with gibberish that rarely has anything to do with the actual meaning. Google can help out and turn it in romanji, but you still have to know what the words mean when you pronounce them.

Hasr11 and Arexio like this.
  8. BookHermit

BookHermit ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

Reading List:
    Link
    well I feel like there are a lot more jp bl manga.
    But I agree, I have like one or two jp bl our of my 100+ reading list which is sad.

9. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread makes me realized that I only have one JP BL novels in my reading list. I prefer to read BL manga rather than the novels... >_<

Shio likes this.
  10. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a very good thing, we already have shitload of bl anyways

11. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Homophobes should just ignore this thread and don't reply. Who wanted to know whether you guys have enough of BL or not?

On the other hand, I think I only have 2 BL JPN novel in my list _(;3/ (Alsar and Yonin)

*And also finished reading a completed one already

Japorea and Hasr11 like this.
  12. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's too bad. I don't think I still have any on my reading list, except the one already dropped by translator (deadlock, Ikai no Ou). For some reason, most bl translator stick with manga/doujin.

I guess the reason is the same with jpn novel in general, a lot of them are published in actual book, so buying them are quite expensive.

13. Dovey

Dovey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese BL is a myth, totally not salty that I can't mtl Japanese bl novels cause grammar sucks

14. Luukia

Luukia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow.. When you put the number like that.. I feel that hte difference in number is really great huh..

I do agree that we need more (good/decent) jp bl translator! Truth to be told, although my translation is not that good, I think my translation is still readable. While the other jp bl novel I read.. not so much. I don't know, I think those horribly translated jp bl novel traumatized me so I never actively searching for other jp bl novel... I'd love it if someone would recommend me a good one to read though !

15. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahaha, I'm actually trying to find a good JP BL novel to translate. I've read a total of 7 volumes from 4 different series in the past 2 weeks, and I was only able to find one volume from one series that I had 100% enthusiasm for. However, the subsequent volumes for the series made me go WTF, and now I'm reconsidering even working on the series. But the first volume is hilarious and cute and just smutty enough, so it's a shame not to share it. Ugh, decisions.

One of the series was decent enough until I read the side story which made me throw my hands up in disgust. The side couple had a lot of potential until you find out that the seme raped the uke (badgered the super shy uke and never noticed that the uke wasn't into it while also too reserved and in a lower position of power to refuse), which makes allllllllll of their interactions (they have big parts) in the rest of the story so skeevy in hindsight because the seme keeps trying to pursue the uke while respecting the uke's physical boundaries. So afterwards you find out the reason why. Ugh, I hate it. It's always this lack of consent that makes my estimation of the seme plummet when they were soooooo good before they get together, and I just want to throw my ebook reader. Bah. There's another one that I read where the seme was sooooooooooooo good until he badgered the uke into doing more than he wanted. It's like come on! I know he's a tsundere and he doesn't always say what he means, but if you really love him, you can do something else and take it slow until he's more comfortable! It's his first time bottoming for heaven's sake!! Ugh, but everything else was freaking good in the novel, that I'm torn.

But yeah, JP BL novels, I want to share the good stuff, but it is so damn hard to find something that fits my tastes. >.<;;;

Hasr11 likes this.
  16. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you also translate BL novels that are print-only?

17. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, all of the novels that I mentioned in my post are print-only.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  18. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think even just finding good BL worth translating is also difficult... :blobconfounded: It's my own fault for being illiterate and not knowing how to search for JP recommendations and reviews, but I once spent days checking every story on Moonlight's daily/monthly/yearly top rankings and only found one out of the hundreds that I thought was interesting enough to translate (and did end up translating hahaha). The good gems aren't easy to find... Though it seems like you know quite a few, so if you keep recommending stuff for people to pick up, maybe JP BL will have a renaissance?:blobrofl:

19. Luukia

Luukia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah! I think that there's not much thread for jp bl novel in novel pick up request section! I'm too lazy to search through syosetu for jp bl novel :blobpensive:

I like to skim through novel pick up request section to see which novel people are interested in and rarely found any jp bl novel there.

20. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @nachte @Luukia
    Did you read this one? I really want someone to summarise and share their thoughts on the novel, since it's about a subject matter that personally interests me.

Is it okay to post translation requests for novels which have no NU catalogue entries?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.