Question Which Novel Started Trope: "Banished/Dismissed/Fired/Kicked Out From The Hero Party"?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CreativeCriticalThinker, Jan 14, 2024.

1. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    0.jpg
    Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari_The Rising of the Shield Hero.jpg

List with Examples:

• Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside
    • The Rising of the Shield Hero
    • Nito's Lazy Foreign World Syndrome_Isekai Healer
    • After Being Deported From The Country, I Became the 4th Enchanter in the World!
    • I was kicked out of the S rank party for being incompetent, but I became a warrior with [Appraisal] and [Healing magic]
    • I Was Dismissed from the Hero’s Party Because They Don’t Need My Training Skills, so I Strengthen My [Fief] Which I Got as a Replacement for My Retirement Money.
    • The Banished Noble Uses the Trash Skill "Ancient Summoning" to Summon Heroes and Bring Life to the Borderlands ~When I Summoned the Heroes, They Adored Me, so They Made My Territory the Strongest~
    • The Strongest Adventurer’s Life Begins with the Skills [Regeneration] and [Destruction] ~I Was Banished for Picking Up Garbage
    • Its Incompetence, in Fact, the Strongest Wizard in the World-Despised as Incompetent and Expelled From the Aristocratic Family, but the Gift "Reincarnated" Awakens and the Abilities of the Previous Life Are Revived
    • Welcome to the Impregnable Demon King Castle ~The Black Mage Who Got Kicked Out of the Hero Party Due to His Unnecessary Debuffs Gets Welcomed by the Top Brass of the Demon King's Army~
    • The Jack-of-all-trades Kicked Out of the Hero’s Party ~ The Swordsman Who Became a Support Mage Due to Party Circumstances, Becomes All Powerful
    • A Story About a Dragon and the Rising of an Adventurer ~ A Healer Who Was Seen as Useless and Was Kicked Out From an S Rank Party, Goes off to Revive the Strongest Dragon in an Abandoned Area
    • Did You Know That a Playboy Can Change His Job to a Sage? ~The Level 99 Jester Expelled from the Heroes' Party Will Become a 'Great Sage'~
    • My Lover Was Stolen, And I Was Kicked Out Of The Hero’s Party, But I Awakened To The EX Skill “Fixed Damage” And Became Invincible. Now, Let’s Begin Some Revenge
    • The Hero Took Everything From Me, So I Partied With The Hero’s Mother!
    • An S-ranked Party’s Burden Tamer, I Awoke My True Power by Having My Familiar Killed ~The Exiled Tamer is Actually the Only Necromancer in the World. Unknowingly Becoming the Strongest While Enjoying this Excess Power~
    • My S-Rank Party Fired Me for Being a Cursificer ~ I Can Only Make “Cursed Items”, but They're Artifact Class!
    • The Beast Tamer Was Fired From His Childhood Friends' S-Rank Party
    • I'm the Only One with a Failure of a Skill in Another World's Summoning Rebellion - Until the Weakest Skill [Absorption] Swallows Everything
    • After being Kicked out of Adventures's party for being so called useless, I developed a skill called [Weakness Spotting]
    • I Was Expelled From the Brave Party, but I'm Happy That You Left the Nest. So, Great Saint, Is It Troublesome for You to Come After Me?
    • The White Mage Who Was Banished From the Hero's Party Is Picked up by an S Rank Adventurer ~ This White Mage Is Too Out of the Ordinary!
    • The Strongest Wizard Making Full Use of the Strategy Guide -No Taking Orders, I'll Slay the Demon King My Own Way-
    • A Court Magician, Who Was Focused On Supportive Magic Because His Allies Were Too Weak, Aims To Become The Strongest After Being Banished
    • The Loser Red Mage is Unmatched in Sage Time
    • I’m a D-Rank Adventurer, for Some Reason I Got Recruited Into a Hero Party, and Now the Princess Is Stalking Me
    • I Was Dismissed from the Hero’s Party Because They Don’t Need My Training Skills, so I Strengthen My [Fief] Which I Got as a Replacement for My Retirement Money.
    • Welcome to the Impregnable Demon King Castle - The Black Mage Who Got Kicked out of the Hero Party Due to His Unnecessary Debuffs Gets Welcomed by the Top Brass of the Demon King's Army
    • I Left My A-Rank Party to Help My Former Students Reach the Dungeon Depths!
    • The Labyrinth Raids of the Ultimate Tank ~The Tank Possessing a Rare 9,999 Endurance Skill was Expelled from the Hero Party~
    • I Am Invincible With My Luck Stat at 999 and Infallible Insta-Death Magic ~I Was Banished With a Magic Power of 1, but I Rise to the Top With My Probability Cheat~
    • The Beast Tamer Exiled From the Hero's Party and the Cat Eared Girl From the Strongest Race Meet
    • I'm a Middle-Aged Man Who Got My Adventurer License Revoked, But I'm Enjoying a Carefree Lifestyle Because I Have an Adorable Daughter
    • Outcast Adventurer's Second Chance ~Training in the Fairy World to Forge a Place to Belong~
    • Experience Distribution Ability - Solo Life of the Strongest Point Gifter in a Different World
    • The Chronicles of the Misfit Quartet and their Unrivaled Synergy
    • The Healer who Was Banished From His Party, Is, In Fact, The Strongest
    • The Hero Took Everything From Me, So I Partied With The Hero’s Mother!
    • The Former Hero Wants To Live Peacefully
    • The Rise Of The Unemployed Wise Man
    • False Hero Has No Place in This World
    • Kanchigai no Atelier Meister
    • Boku no Kawaii Musume wa Futago no Kenja
    • Welcome to Cheap Restaurant of Outcast!
    • Until The Chore Granting Sorcerer Realized His Strongest
    • Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers
    • Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army
    • The Kicked Out S-Rank Appraiser Creates the Strongest Guild
    • The Ex-janitor Who Was Expelled, Became Known as the "Greatest Repairman" With His Exceptional Skills - Requests From SSS Rank Parties and Royalty Don't Stop Coming
    • My Job is Appraiser, but What is The [God Eye]? Living Freely with The World's Greatest Elementary Level Job
    • I've Been Kicked Out of an S-Rank Guild. But Only I Can Communicate With Dragons.
    • A Court Blacksmith, whom was Condemned for being an ‘Iron-Smelling Woman’, was Picked up by a Friendly Guild and Attained Happiness
    • E-Rank-Healer
    • Until The Chore Granting Sorcerer Realized His Strongest
    • Do You Think Someone Like You Can Defeat the Demon King?
    • I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched
    • Expelled Hero Is Too Strong
    • The Strongest Banished Saintess Wants to Have a Slow Life in the City!
    • Sexiled: My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up with a Mythical Sorceress!
    • I Was Fired From the Saints and Heroes Party and Created a Guild, and It Has Grown Into the Strongest Guild Like My Home
    • Starting a New Life for the Discarded All-Rounder / A Banished Odd-jobber Starts a New Life
    Starting a New Life for the Discarded All-Rounder.jpg
    Sexiled - My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up With a Mythical Sorceress!_.jpg
    So many ridiculous long titles that explain too much for Light Novels......................................

What do you personally think of this Plot Formula/Trope?
    And who popularized the concept of "Protagonist Being Banished/Dismissed/Fired/Kicked Out From The Idiot Hero Party, and it always turns out that the Main Character has the strongest best ability in the fantasy world..."

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024 at 12:48 PM
    marivs, Shadow Bunny and Snowflake1 like this.
  2. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Sun WiKong from the “Journey to the West”, maybe? He got kicked out from the group at one point.
    Maybe not the most “traditional” form thou.

3. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No that be like saying the Wizard of Oz started the isekai genre. It would be something recent like in the last five years or how ever long the troupe as been around.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  4. Starless

Starless Seeker of Sagas

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the trope it self is just one of many ways to do the rising under dog thing. As for the origin of the trope, no clue, shield hero is the first that comes to mind for me.

5. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    But didn't the other main characters Tang Sanzang/Tripitaka, Zhu Bajie/Pigsy, Sha Wujing/Sandy & The White Dragon Horse took primary protagonist Sun Wukong/Monkey King back at the end?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    hypersniper159 likes this.
  6. Snowflake1

Snowflake1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think so too. Most likely, this trope has existed in some shape or form fora long time and has been reused by many authors. Then it was used in a light novel which happened to become extremely popular (my guess would be the rise of the shield hero, as that was my first encounter with this trope) and then other authors hopped on on the train and started copying en masse.

Personally, I don't mind the trope but also don't like it in particular. It can be a set up for some extremely interesting stories and character development, but it can also be absolute trash.

7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but I am sure the reason why this exist in its modern form because it easily creates villains and a standard, meanwhile Journey to the West has plenty of villains.
    But yeah, you have a point.

8. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I would like to say arifureta but he was abandoned, not banished so I'll pick rising of the shield hero.

9. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, Shield Hero is the first big popular one of this type I recall other than arifureta. The revenge streak + quick use of slavery hit me kind of wrong so I wasn’t very into it, but the central theme was definitely ‘my party kicked me out and now I will rise to the top without them’.

10. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget that they will also attract easily a bunch of pretty cute female characters that will become the Harem for the underestimated secretly overpowered male protagonist ......

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_coughblood:

12. Fostofina

Fostofina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tysm for the recs! I love these kind of stories <3 I wonder how many of them have a female MC. I enjoy male MCs and all but it's easier to relate a female MC for me.

13. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't recommend reading most of these stories.
    However, "Starting a New Life for the Discarded All-Rounder / A Banished Odd-jobber Starts a New Life" is very decent and non-sexist story.

Female Protogonists being dismissed from a Adventurer Party:
    • E-Rank-Healer
    • Do You Think Someone Like You Can Defeat the Demon King?
    • The Strongest Banished Saintess Wants to Have a Slow Life in the City!
    • Sexiled: My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up with a Mythical Sorceress!
    • I Was Fired From the Saints and Heroes Party and Created a Guild, and It Has Grown Into the Strongest Guild Like My Home

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Fostofina likes this.
  14. Fostofina

Fostofina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have heard that some stories with this trope are absolutely atrocious and sexist. There was one I read with a guys healer that was pretty decent though and it made me a little excited. thank you for the recs ♥️

15. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy Tropes: Kicked Out and Forced to Start a New Life
    The banished protagonists of these fantasy stories were exiled from their kingdom or kicked out of their guild, sect, adventuring party, or other group. Some exiles were simply cast out and forced to start a new life, while others were grievously betrayed when their former allies attempt to kill them, frame them for a crime, or sell them into slavery.

https://www.anime-planet.com/users/AnnaSartin/lists/fantasy-tropes-kicked-out-and-forced-to--967959

16. Bored_Student

Bored_Student Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im always impressed at how you manage to list so many examples with images all the time XD

17. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Stories about a character being forced out of a group or straight up exiled can be great when done properly.
    Unfortunately most of the ones I've come across in mangas or webnovels are horribly written and often relies entirely on characters being idiotic caricatures to get the story rolling, and even worse are the ones that keep those characters around for long with no improvement to their characterization.
    It also gets tiresome when this is paired with the mc being so over the top powerful that other characters get little meaningful things to do.

"I Quit the Hero's party" I would say is one of the better ones I've read, at least the novel version since it is pretty clear early on that the mc isn't just being forced out due to a stupid misunderstanding.
    Although from what I've seen the manhwa adaptation is terrible.

18. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the difference between the Novel and Manhwa Adaptation of I Quit the Hero's Party?
    0.jpg ==.jpg

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The manhwa is probably staying somewhat faithful to the original, the main problem from what I saw is that it was cutting some serious corners.
    Like for example it skips over the scene where the mc gets turned into a girl at the start of the story and only presents it as a few blurry images as part of a short flashback with no real explanation, while in the novel that was a major introductory scene for the character and took more time than him quitting the party did.
    And to be honest any adaptation of a gender bender story that skips over the gender bending has already kind of failed right there and then in my opinion. lol

20. CreativeCriticalThinker

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you also tell me what you liked about IQTHP?