Spoiler Bad Maids / The Wicked Ladies in Waiting

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Rin.rinaaa, Mar 7, 2022.

1. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the correction!
    It's been a while since I read the Spoilers in the first page.
    When the FL convinced the 2nd Prince to disguise as another person by crossdressing as a woman, I mistakenly started to strongly assume that he might be the "third major female character with silver hair", because some webtoon artists tend to change the hair color & hairstyle of characters based on how they originally looked in the novel.
    Example: I Became The Sole Perfumer of A Tyrant
    50jd3lr80ec71-imageonline.co-merged.jpg

Sorry, my mistake!
    I either totally forgot or overlooked the name Alexa Kwan.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  2. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The RoFan Genre made me confused about the term Maid & Lady-in-waiting.
    Who usually become Maids? I've seen low ranking noble ladies doing housekeeping in the homes of dukes and royals in the world of Romance Fantasy. Guessing they are Head Maids?
    Can you call actually a Lady-in-waiting a Maid?
    Can a Commoner Girl or Woman can ever become a Lady-in-waiting for a Duke/Duchess or Imperial Member?

AnxiousPanda15
    It's an understandable confusion, unfortunately. The RoFan authors have rather made a mess of this sort of thing.
    Fortunately, it's rather straightforward.

A maid, typically, was a commoner. Their roles and duties in a household varied greatly (and still do!) based on their position. For instance, a scullery maid was typically the youngest female domestic servant and helped with laundry, assorted chores, and kitchen work. A laundress specifically worked with the house's laundry. A chambermaid would specifically focus on cleaning and maintaining their employers' rooms and guest rooms. Etc.

On the other hand, Ladies-In-Waiting were personal attendants and assistants to royalty. In Europe, I can't say I've ever heard of a commoner rising to the position of Lady-in-Waiting, as they were all noblewomen who simply worked in the Royal/Imperial court as assistants to higher-ranking noblewomen (always royalty). They would never, -ever- do menial chores (like a maid would), but were rather used as secretaries, confidantes, tutors, and general assistants (like managing their clothing to ensure they met the latest fashion, managing the jewelry to ensure they matched the clothing, organizing dances, etiquette lessons, etc.).

For a noblewoman to occupy and perform the tasks expected of a commoner maid would be beyond insulting and would've likely led to a severe feud. The only possible situation I can imagine that happening would be if the noblewoman's titles and nobility were stripped from them by the royal court, and they were ordered to do so -- and even then, few would likely accept living with the disgrace.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    IrregularPerson and Thamalasca like this.
  3. Fabicd

Fabicd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alex is the 3rd servant of the second prince, the girl with silver hair on the cover of the novel. (The "woman" in the hat that appears in the image is the 2nd prince).

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, someone explain it to me like I’m 12: why is Julia so convinced she’ll always beat Christin no matter what? Yes, she has for the last four years, but Christin’s also been getting second place every single time, which means she really does have the smarts, and unless there’s a twenty point gap between first and second, it wouldn’t be weird for Christin to take first some of the time. It also suggests that they are at a similar level of intellect, but no, the story makes it out that Julia is sooooo much smarter than stupid, wittle Christin. Like, what?
    IMG_9512.gif
    The whole idea that they know that Julia will always beat Christin and hence the paper switch is also really weird…

I’m not defending Christin, I don’t think she’s a likable person, but this whole idea seems really stupid to me. Maybe it’s explained better in the novel? I’m just reading the comic version…

The story: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series/m3jpjsx/bad-maids
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/bad-maids/

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024