Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Submit it on a relevant novel. I don’t see why not if the tag doesn’t already exist. CP seems to be a term used more in CN though so “No Love Interests” might be the better option.

Iruma666 and puukkiss like this.
  2. puukkiss

puukkiss I'm Keeping My Eye On You!

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not too familiar with site functions, could you please tell me where "Submit it on a relevant novel." is? Thank you.

3. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    … does this show for you when you go to edit tags on any novel? In hindsight perhaps this isn’t a public feature.

IMG_5937.jpeg

puukkiss likes this.
  4. puukkiss

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a lot. My eyesight isn't the best, so I easily miss little things.

EDIT: Wondering how long new tags take to get accepted, I submitted it, but it has already been a couple of days.

EDIT2: No response.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  5. Kakipii13

Kakipii13 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got suggestions:
    I'd like to suggest merging the "Herbalist" and "Pharmacist" tags. The definition could include anyone who makes or dispenses medicines and remedies like herbs, potions, or pills and name professions like herbalists, pharmacists, apothecaries, potion makers, and doctors specifically. "Pill Concocting" could also be included under this, maybe. I don't know what the actual tag would be called, however. Maybe "Medicine Maker" or something? It would be able to cover modern, fantasy, martial arts, and historical settings.

I also feel like "Businessman" and "Salaryman" could be merged into one tag, with the "Businessmen" definition naming salaryman as one of the possible occupations or names that apply to the tag.

Two suggestions for genres - I feel like "Mecha" as a genre is redundant because "Sci-Fi" is already a genre. Also, I feel like a genre that needs to be added is "Entertainment". Entertainment novels tend to have similar motifs and story beats, with the protagonist being in some position in the entertainment industry, the story showing each project they are involved in and any conflicts, and the protagonist slowly growing to be more successful and famous. There are similarities no matter the language of origin, romance or non-romance, or the main character's profession.

"Entertainment" is usually a slice of life genre, but it defies classifications like "shounen" or "shoujo". While the "Drama" genre often applies to works set in the entertainment industry it's not always applicable. This means that sometimes the only relevant tag for an entertainment novel could be "Slice of Life", but only having one tag doesn't help new readers understand what the novel will be like. There are enough entertainment-style novels out there that I think it deserves its own tag. If "School life" is a genre (as it should be!) then "Entertainment" should have its own genre tag too.

FelicitaScarlet likes this.
  6. puukkiss

Reading List:
    Link
    Second try. Sincer someone at the helm Doesn't like No Romance tag, maybe this will interest tag accepters.
    Bachelor Protagonists
    Or Bachelorette for females. This tag applies to main characters who remain single throughout the story or express a clear disinterest in romantic relationships.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Negative tags are basically never accepted.

If the story doesn't have the Romance genre nor does it have the Romantic Subplot tag, then it should already fit into what you want. That's basically why this kind of tag isn't accepted.

8. puukkiss

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, Like I said in my first post:
    PLUS, sometimes the Romantic Subplot tag is meant for side characters rather than the main character. So, by excluding it, I would be missing out on novels that are free from romance involving the MC.

And it's ridiculous that if I just want novels without a main character having CP, I need to exclude numerous things. Whereas, if I want a clever protagonist or any other type of protagonist, there's a tag for it.

And this site is supposed to be an Asian novels site, right? For example, Chinese novels often have this tag. Sometimes it's even a category rather than just a tag, like on jjwxc.
    性向: 不限 言情 纯爱 百合 无CP
    Orientation: Unlimited Romance Pure Love Lily No CP

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true, and it's a side effect of what you want.

People not tagging things properly isn't an excuse for adding new tags though.
    The way NU handles tags has nothing to do with how other sites handle tags.

Last I heard, in jjwxc, if you're writing a BL novel, you're forced to categorize your MC as either Uke or Seme, for example. NU doesn't have this kind of requirement.

NU just does its own thing. Other sites do their thing.

TXHY likes this.
  10. garbageking_tm

garbageking_tm Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know if this is the right place for reporting this, but 'Second Chance' tag's description is broken on the tag list page, probably due to using the " quotation mark, but the definition is locked and can't be edited.

11. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fixed, let us know if you still see it as broken.