Discussion Worldwide hacking over 100 countries... BEWARE

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TypeFantasyHeart, May 16, 2017.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like the kind of thing only people who use their computer for business, with important documents (and no backups for that matter) would care about. My computer, for example, has essentially nothing on it. What'cha gonna do - encrypt my Steam games? I can redownload those in a couple of minutes, bro.

Most people are all in that same boat. At most, they might have things like pictures they don't want to lose or maybe redownloading games and stuff is troublesome for them. But that's it. For the most part, I think they can agree that their pictures are not worth a few hundred dollars and just start over. An annoyance for them, at most.

For the people that would most be affected by this (important files and shit, bro) hopefully they have backups or actually keep their shit updated and won't have any problems from this anyway. Or, y'know, just don't open shady emails because they're smart, and don't let less smart people use the same local network as them.

Edit: By the way... Is that $300 figure accurate? Y'know, if they'd priced it somewhere closer to $20, they'd have made way more. People can and will pay that much to solve the problem. Setting the bar at $300 means that you just piss people off and frustrate them to death, but definitely don't get paid jack shit. At least, not from your average guy. Whoever set the figure was retarded or trollin'.

prongsjiisan, Milanin and udonsage like this.
  2. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your edit is true, i was thinking the same thing... why charge 300 that only a few could actually pay and would even pay for it... if it were like you said $20 then a lot more would have actually paid for it.

3. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of misinformation in this thread so ill try to clarify a few things.
    First, the ransomware spread is called Wannacry or wannacryptor (and several other names and abbreviations). It spreads through different ways but two of the most prominent ones are an email with attachment or dropbox/google docs link. Running the file will infect your machine. The second, more worrying vector is exploiting a vulnerability in the mirosoft server message block (SMB). In short, this means that the worm can spread throughout a network if an infected computer is connected to it and through certain ports on the internet (445 iirc). Luckily for the average user (aka you guys), we dont have networks to worry about and by default, most of the ports that can infect your system is blocked by both windows and your isp. A
    lso, microsoft patched this in march on all versions of windows from xp and onwards. This is why updating your system is important.

So in short, avoid suspicious emails, never open any files from them, keep your system up to date and you should be fine. The biggest victims of this attack are companies that neglected to patch their systems even when warned to, but the average user shouldn't be affected provided they use common sense when browsing the internet.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    prongsjiisan, NovaCi and Westeller like this.
  4. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It starts off at 300, then escalates it up to 600 over time. It's facinating watching what this worm does to your system (I ran a virtual machine to see what it did, and it's quite impressive). It had a lot of weird elements such as killing itself if a certain domain was active (which a researcher registered and limited the spread of it significantly).

5. Thecloudy

Thecloudy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing valuable on my computer and no other computer is connected to my network so I'm in the clear.

Foreign movies? Secret pictures? Never even heard of them.

udonsage likes this.
  6. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    We need Zhang Ye! Lol.

7. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Why him?

This hack is fucked up...

8. Shem

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. It suddenly popped up inside my head since there's an arc about hacking incident in IRAS XD

9. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes sense, but isn't he a small fry?

10. Shem

Reading List:
    Link
    NAY. XD i think this is after the television arc. And his cheat helped a lot.

11. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    This rl hack looks op

12. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no?

13. Deleted member 41274

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? Please explain

14. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah

15. Dupe2718

Dupe2718 Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn I had planned a scam like this a year ago. Looks like I was too lazy with it. :/

Now I lose the chance to strike it rich. orz

16. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ty for this quick summary of how to avoid it only reason I came to this thread was in hopes of someone giving tips on avoiding the ransomware.

17. invincibleDebster

invincibleDebster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they are from Criminal organisation or terrorist organisation like ISIS or North Korea since Britain and Europe are most affected from ransom ware.
    they might need quick money becz they have expected that worm will not last for long.

18. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do note that there appears to be malicious websites that hosts this worm popping up. Several antivirus companies has notednit, but they believe they are copycat attacks for the most part. So keep your java, browsers and antivirus up to date and don't browse dubious website plugins/extensions like noScript. Also if you happen to download any microsoft office files (word, excel etc), do not allow macros unless you know and trust the person sending the file.

19. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    This is useful advice from thread and for OP. Please quote these post on first page.

Sorry I'm busy formatting my clients computer.. worry not all of my client have their data backed up in my cheapo NAS.

The power of low level format!!! No worm can resist it. Up till now.

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    me~ for send report~ it better than using fax~